Replacing switch panel and battery - question

Oct 21, 2015
Catalina 22 Lafayette, IN
I rarely use the electrical system on my 1987 C-22. Outboard engine is pull start. All my running lights and cabin lights are LEDs. Each light draws about 1/10 of an amp when in use. We hardly run at night anyhow........If I do, it's for an hour or two on our local lake. If we are cruising we might use the cabin lights for an hour at most. Inside the cabin we tend to use battery powered LED stuff most of the time. We don't anchor out much when cruising, usually stay at the marina. I'd like to get rid of the battery in the back of the boat (and it's associated wiring) and put a new panel in the cabin. Thinking of replacing the panel with a more modern one. I'd like to get a medium size, rechargeable battery and mount it near the switch panel in some way. That way I can easily take the battery out when not using the boat, but reinstall it quickly. Cabella's has a pretty good deal on a battery and charger. Anyone done this yet? And any ideas on how and where to mount the battery? This should make a good winter project! I appreciate your thoughts.
battery.jpg
battery.jpg

Last edited:

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
LM said: "I'd like to get rid of the battery in the back of the boat (and it's associated wiring) and put a new panel in the cockpit. Thinking of replacing the panel with a more modern one."

I have never seen a switch panel mounted in the cockpit. Mine and every other boat I have seen the switch panel is mounted in the cabin.
So was wondering if this is what you meant?

Oct 21, 2015
LM said: "I'd like to get rid of the battery in the back of the boat (and it's associated wiring) and put a new panel in the cockpit. Thinking of replacing the panel with a more modern one."

I have never seen a switch panel mounted in the cockpit. Mine and every other boat I have seen the switch panel is mounted in the cabin.
So was wondering if this is what you meant?
Oopsie........meant cabin.........posting this from my office overlooking the airport. Mind must have been on airplanes.
Cabin and cockpits are reversed between airplanes and boats! Thanks

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Not a bad plan for how you use the boat. It should be reversible if the next owner wants to change back for electric start or something.
In my Mac 26S, I had an AGM battery under the galley. Low and center. My 9.9 Merc was pull start too.

Oct 21, 2015
Not a bad plan for how you use the boat. It should be reversible if the next owner wants to change back for electric start or something.
In my Mac 26S, I had an AGM battery under the galley. Low and center. My 9.9 Merc was pull start too.
I plan on redoing all the wiring anyhow. I will likely put in power cables to the back. Also plan to install a good junction block. Plan to leave a spot or two that could take a 12V cable to the back of the boat if they want later.

Thanks

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Those 7 amp batteries can be had for about $15 these days. I'd recommend a better charger to prevent overcharging it or maybe even a small solar panel with charge controller

Oct 21, 2015
Those 7 amp batteries can be had for about $15 these days. I'd recommend a better charger to prevent overcharging it or maybe even a small solar panel with charge controller
I have a real charger at home. Plan would be to charge it up at home and only bring it out to the lake if night sailing. If we were to cruise for a week or so I might then pack the charger.

fMike

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
for your use, put a trickle charger on a common walmart 12v deep cycle battery, leave it in your stern stbd laz and move on...you'll have all of $100 buks invested...spread over several years...why "re-wire" things?

Oct 21, 2015
I have to rewire anyhow. It's a rats nest behind the panel.......different colors, gauges, connectors, etc.....so I need to do get that fixed. Also plan to add some 5v USB outlets and wire some LED strip lights bypassing the existing cabin wiring. Don't have power at the sailing club so I need to remove the battery to charge it. I'd just rather use a smaller battery anyhow. Plus I need a winter project. The only thing I am purchasing "extra" for this project would be the battery.....And its only $20-$30. Plus I need a winter project!! :)

Nov 12, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake LBJ
I've been using a similar 'game feeder' battery for several years. The only electrical I use is the running lights coming back home in the evenings (I sail on a lake). I can often go a whole season (six months) on a single charge. I have mine mounted down by the 'volcano'. I epoxied a small plastic bin in which the battery sits, with some closed cell foam around it to keep it from sliding around. It works great for me and my sailing, is much lighter than a regular large 12v battery as well.

Oct 21, 2015
I've been using a similar 'game feeder' battery for several years. The only electrical I use is the running lights coming back home in the evenings (I sail on a lake). I can often go a whole season (six months) on a single charge. I have mine mounted down by the 'volcano'. I epoxied a small plastic bin in which the battery sits, with some closed cell foam around it to keep it from sliding around. It works great for me and my sailing, is much lighter than a regular large 12v battery as well.
I hadn't thought about putting it there.......great thought....thanks......

Mike

Oct 21, 2015
Another alternative is to use one of those jump starter packs. They typically contain a 7 amp battery. Some of them have an inverter or charger built in
Ive actually been doing that for the last year to see if it would work, and it does.......it's just ultra-bulky. But now that it has "passed" the test, I am going to do the rewire job and just use a rechargable battery. Cleaner installation. Thanks

Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
For your power needs, it will work just fine. I also have one of those 7ah sla batteries, got it for $10 on end of season clearance at Tractor Supply. I've been keeping it aboard as a back-up and it came in real handy when I showed up for an overnight one weekend only to discover that I had left the VHF and chartplotter on all week and the house battery was dead. The little battery was up to the task and powered the running lights all weekend as well as two nights at anchor with the anchor light on all night. I also use it to power my 10" o2 cool fan sometimes when the D cells get weak. On a side note, I do a lot of duck hunting from a shallow draft marsh skiff. A couple of years ago I decided to put one of those 32", 180,000 lumen light bars on it since I go out in the swamp prior to daylight. I wasn't keen on the idea of putting a full size battery in my tiny skiff so I tested it out with this battery. I figured if I could get 30 minutes of run time out of it it would be enough as I would only need it for 15-20 minutes at a time. I hooked it up in the back yard one night and after 6 hours of continuous use I finally shut it off and went to bed and I've never bothered to look for a different battery to power the light bar.

Oct 21, 2015
I've looked at putting one of those light bars in as well. When I come back to our marina, it is pitch black and it would be nice to have some light. Might give that a try as well.

Thanks

Mike

Sep 25, 2019
2002 Cat 22 MkII Lake Somerville
I'm curious if this battery has worked out for you? Seems like an inexpensive alternative to a full size 12v DC w/ solar charging. Do you think it'd be able to power a depth finder, onboard stereo and periodic use of running and/or cabin lights? I too don't have available power at the marina so would take home to recharge when needed. Seems like small enough battery to handle in that regard...

Zinger88
S/V Change of Pace
Lake Somerville, TX
~~ _/) ~

Oct 21, 2015
I'll have to let you know next summer. Its a winter project. But I'm not driving much with my battery. A couple of LED nav lights (if I go out at night) as well as an iphone or two. I would suspect all the stuff you want to run would deplete a battery fairly quickly, particularly if they are ON most of the time.
Mike

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
Catalina 22 13425 A driveway in Pittsburgh
FYI: We had a couple Polaris MRZRs come through the other day and I noticed they have Baja Designs LED lighting. I assume those are pretty good lights to have made the cut. Not cheap but you get what you pay for. I'm thinking the S2 Driving/Combo would make a nice addition.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I'm curious if this battery has worked out for you? Seems like an inexpensive alternative to a full size 12v DC w/ solar charging. Do you think it'd be able to power a depth finder, onboard stereo and periodic use of running and/or cabin lights? I too don't have available power at the marina so would take home to recharge when needed. Seems like small enough battery to handle in that regard...
I can't comment on the depth finder as I don't know their power draw. A small battery for the stereo and occasional light usage should last for a few hours. I would guess it would last for a day sail but this is just a guess. Stereos don't draw that much. I built a powered speaker with a car amp and 7A battery. It lasted for weeks with light usage.
I would measure the current draw of the stereo and depth finder as they may differ from the max power draw listed in the specs.

Does your solar panel have issues charging your battery?