Replacing Radar Cable on a 2007 Hunter 38

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 38 Pentwater MI
I am replacing my existing Ray Marine Radar with a Garmin unit. This requires that we pull the old cable from the mast to the helm and run a new one. Has any one done this on a Hunter 38? Can you tell me where the cable runs once it exits the mast below the deck?

We tried pulling up the floor boards to look. My center salon forward floor board has four screws holding it down but it is also glued down so it cannot be pulled up. I wonder if our dealer (now defunct) did this on the radar install? Dont know why you would screw the floor down and also glue it. Is this normal?

Also there is a small portion of the floor next to the compression post that looks like it should be removable. Any experience taking that out?

Any advice on this task appreciated.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
WHY

Why are you switching any way but any way have owned 2 hunters with radar and always the cable runs through the headliner and along the sides over to the helm.
My 2007 H-36 now runs along from headliner down along nav station back to stern and not along floor,remove the wood cover where mast support pole comes down into boat at the table,that should be where all wires junction from mast and than from there trace which way radar cable is going which side of boat towards stern.
I did do this on my first hunter installing radar.
Nick

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 38 Pentwater MI
My Raymarine C120 Classic Chart plotter was stolen out of its Navpod while in our marina in Kemah Texas. Raymarine no longer sells the Classic C series and the its radar is not compatible with the new wide screen Raymarine series so I need new radar.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 38 Pentwater MI
Yes there are sometime used ones of questionable functionality and no guarantees to work. I also talked to Raymarine tech support and they advised against going that route - they said soon they will stop supporting the classic units so they cannot be repaired in a year or two.

Dec 27, 2005
Hunter 36 Chicago
Great! - another 4 to 6K upgrade to replace obsolete equipment to look forward to in a few years. (BOAT - Break Out Another Thousand). Did you look at the new e7 MFD that Raymarine just came out with. Looks like it will talk to just about any wireless device.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I was essentially forced ionto Raymarine when I bought my boat new, after many happy years with Furuno. A friend just upgraded his boat with all Furuno gear and it looks great. I would be certain to consider Furuno if I were looking to upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.