Replacing passive skimmer with electric field pump and automatic switch

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Ya probably want both manual and electric.. looks like you have room to shorten the manual pump hose and remove the net, leaving the strainer there, but as far aft as you can get it. .. then install an electric pump that will fit.. and either a float switch or select the bilge pump with the automatic feature that does not require an external switch.. a new thru hull will be needed .. best to install it high, under the toe rail, and put an anti siphon loop in the hose before the discharge fitting.
Another option would be to replace the manual pump with an electric diaphragm type bilge pump using the existing hoses.. That eliminates the manual pump, which is not a good option..
Dry Bilge Pump Rule | Xylem US
This kind of remote self priming pump might be an option.. but quite a bit more expensive that the little centrifugal pumps that have to be in the water to work.
Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Depends on what you want.

An electric pump is made for dealing with small leaks at the dock. Small, but could sink the boat given enough time. They will NOT save your boat in the case of a large leak at sea regardless of what the capacity states.

Manual pumps are made to discharge large quantities of water but need a living, breathing body to power them.

Your boat, your choice, etc, etc, etc.