Replacing main hatch rails

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 15, 2004
Catalina 30 Benicia, California
I'm in the process of refinishing all of the exterior teak on my 1980 C-30. This weekend I removed the teak rails on the upper deck that run along side the main hatch. I talked this morning with Catalina Direct and they can custom order replacements but I have to send them the old ones to use as a pattern. The turn-around is 4-6 weeks. Does anyone know of a source that might have them pre-made? Bob Boller Benicia, CA

Feb 15, 2005
- - Island Harbor Marina, Palm Harbor FL
Me, too

sailingdude - I also needed new woodrails, for out C25. Catalina told me they'd lost the patterns in an earthquake and could not make new rails. I sent ours to Catalina Direct, to serve as patterns. That was about 6 - 7 weeks ago, and I've not yet received the new ones. I searched a lot, and did not find any other source. Did not discover H&L that Calif. Ted referred you to. Jack

M

Mark

What finish will you use?

I'm planning the same project for over winter. When we bought our 85 it had epiphanes varnish and looked great. After a couple years the spots got to be too much and we sanded the whole thing and tried West Marine WoodPro. After a few years it is developing a lot of dark spots in the groves that have developed. Some have suggested epoxy and Bristol finish.

May 25, 2004
- - New Albany, IN
Plug Replacements

Jack & Sailing Dude: Teak plugs can be purchased to replace the plugs removed for refinishing your rails. See West Marine.

Status
Not open for further replies.