Floatie

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
So the pump and the float switch still have power after disconnecting negatives and turning battery switch off? Does the bilge pump have an off-auto-manual switch with a fuse? If so, pull the fuse.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
It’s 12 volt you won’t get zapped. disconnect your 120volt so the inverter isn’t charging the bank. maybe that’s the source

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Three-position switch. Off means the pump won't run when commanded by the float switch. On means automatic operation when commanded by the float switch.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
You won’t get shocked but if the circuit isn’t fused you can start a fire. Considering your posts, I recommend you get some help until you are familiar with the electrical components of your boat and in general. Sometimes money spent is money saved.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
That’s right. I’m not exactly certain what off-auto-manual means... I’m sorry. The bilge pump runs automatically when triggered by the water level, and we have a manual switch on our 12v DC breaker panel that we have to hold down to turn on the pump.
Off: The pump will not run regardless of the position of the float switch.
Manual: The pump runs regardless of the position of the float switch.
Auto: The pump will run only when triggered by the float switch (i.e., when the water rises to a certain level in the bilge) and will not run when not triggered by the float switch (i.e., when the water drops below a certain level in the bilge).

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Your bilge pump runs off the engine start battery, I am fairly sure.[mine does]

Remove the positive part of the start battery and then fix it.

It takes 80 VDC to shock you.;)
Jim...

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Hi
we have talked before. I have the same boat.
Under the nav table seat there is a panel that faces the cabin. it’s where the main battery switches and circuit breakers are located. There is a one for the main bilge.
attached is a link to the manual for the boat. See page 11 as it shows what’s on that panel.

12 volt DC will not give you a poke. If it helps any, I’ve replaced the float switch on my boat and did not bother to shut the power off. I traced the wires from the float up to where they connected to the pump wiring (up high in the bilge where they won’t get wet). Carefully disconnected them Making sure nothing touched, as I disconnected one wire from the old switch I connected the same wire from the new. When all connected I removed old switch from the bilge and then mounted the new one it it’s place.

This boat has a switch on the 12v panel at the nav table. The default position is auto. if you move switch to the right it’s manual on for the bilge pump. When you let go it moves back to auto.

• Helpful
May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Make sure the bilge pump is a 12V fixture as some owners have 120V sump pumps in their bilges. Make sure that if there is a remote bilge pump panel that it is in automatic. The float switch itself is all the power disconnect switch you need. Identify the wires, collapse the float and cut the wires. Keep them apart and peel back a little of the insulation for the new connections. Install connectors on the new pump wires, once again collapse the float and finish the connections one wire at a time. Worst case scenario 12V won't hurt you.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Thank you. I thought that's what that would mean, but ours is set to run automatically, and our switch on our DC panel can be held down to go from auto to manual mode, but when released it goes back to auto.
Yup. This makes perfect sense. This would keep you from setting it on manual, forgetting that you did, leaving the boat, and coming back 2 weeks later to a burned out bilge pump!

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
@quadrille38 - As always, THANK YOU! I don't know why I didn't think to tag you, but you've helped answer nearly every question I believe I've had about this boat. :thumbup: Soooo much appreciated! :beer:

We went ahead and clipped the wires - didn't get shocked in the slightest. :yeah: The whole process took about 30 minutes and that was primarily because we had about 3 inches of working space and had to get all of the wires zip tied back nice and neat. Done and done! :biggrin:
terrific So glad to help. Mine took about 30 minutes too. Did sacrifice the skin of one knuckle in the proces. But then the owner of our marina and best mechanic ever said it’s not a real boat project unless there is blood.