Replacement winch for 26S stock trailer.

Sep 5, 2017
Macgregor 26S TN River
The previous owner of my 26S replaced the winch on the trailer with a very cheaply made unit. After a couple uses there were teeth missing. I am looking to replace the winch with a better quality one.

What weight rating should I get? Are there any winches that people have been very happy with?

I usually will be in fresh water, but some salt water.

Thanks
-Russ

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I've heard that replacing your wench is VERY expensive. I have had mine for 17 years with only a few complaints. If you really want to replace yours the weight is a matter of personal taste. Getting rid of the old one can be difficult. I recommend that you get a good attorney.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I've heard that replacing your wench is VERY expensive. I have had mine for 17 years with only a few complaints. If you really want to replace yours the weight is a matter of personal taste. Getting rid of the old one can be difficult. I recommend that you get a good attorney.
LOL. Said it better than I could :)
"cheaper to keep her"

Sep 5, 2017
Macgregor 26S TN River
Funny. I typed that way too fast this morning. I corrected the spelling now....

-Russ

Oct 3, 2018
MacGregor 26s Right now, in my driveway!!
I replaced mine with a $50 winch from West Marine. Seems fine? Maybe you got a defective unit? Try taking it back for a refund or swap?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Not sure what mine was rated at. I did have to replace the strap once. If no Mac sailors here know the rating, I'd talk to a trailer place and see what you need. I had to wench (winch) my Mac up a few times with the ballast tank full. The lake was too low. So consider more weight than empty.

Oct 3, 2018
MacGregor 26s Right now, in my driveway!!
So you couldn't get the trailer underneath? If so, open the ballast valve and then drive up a little, let drain, rinse and repeat until it's out of the water and empty?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
So you couldn't get the trailer underneath? If so, open the ballast valve and then drive up a little, let drain, rinse and repeat until it's out of the water and empty?
That's how I do (did) it only I used the winch, not the motor to inch it up. Happens often on our shallow reservoir.

May 3, 2018
macgregor 26S trailer sailed from Kitimat
My new winch arrives early this week, I've used the stock winch on our local boat ramp, normal is a steep ramp and the 1200 lb stock winch ???? will not load the boat up to the stop and up on the dry had about nothing left to pull it on even with wet bunks. My choice is a 3500 lb. 2 speed winch from Amazon under 50.00 cdn . including delivery, I will have a lot more pull on wet bunks to load as far forward to properly tow the boat home 12 to 20 inches behind the post makes the tow very heavy on the rear and creates a real unsafe tow home. My other half has most of the house on board and never learned to pack light a tarp and hammock camper she is not, the other reason for my going with the bigger winch

Last edited: