Replacement trailer for an 85 Mac 25

Seadoc

Aug 4, 2016
Macgregor 25 Virginia
I'm looking to upgrade my original 1985 Mac 25. First I thought about refinishing it, adding a 2nd axle, brakes, etc. When the cost of these changes (close to $1000-2000) were added up I started thinking it might be better to spend more for a newer used unit but after checking prices I'm not so sure. I don't want to pay more for a trailer than the boat is worth.
Any thoughts on this. I'm in the Blue Ridge Mts of VA and it's difficult to locate sailboat trailers in this area.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Search craigist for a POS boat on a nice trailer.

I bought a $400 boat on a dual axle trailer ... stripped it of good hardware and sold the hull for $100

trailer4.jpg

Giro

Jul 23, 2019
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Monterey
The trailer the picture shows, in my estimation, will not accommodate any MacGregor 25 sailboat nor any other pocket cruiser having a swing keel or any other iron or lead “board” without major modifications. As substantial as the trailer shown looks, there needs to be additional bunks and side supports engineered and incorporated into the trailer frame. One unique feature Roger MacGregor and his team created when designing the MacGregor swing keel trailer was to literally use the weight of the keel itself to hold down the vessel and prevent any moderate to significant movement when trailering. There, in fact, have been various opinions as to whether the boats should be strapped down to the trailer. Most prudent owners opting to strap the vessel to the trailer. If you wish to use the type of trailer that is shown in the picture (which looks like a trailer designed to be used with a small motor vessel) it might be a good idea to enlist the opinion of an engineer before fabricating any modifications. The best to you and your endeavor.

Jan 19, 2010
The trailer the picture shows, in my estimation, will not accommodate any MacGregor 25 sailboat nor any other pocket cruiser having a swing keel or any other iron or lead “board” without major modifications. As substantial as the trailer shown looks, there needs to be additional bunks and side supports engineered and incorporated into the trailer frame. One unique feature Roger MacGregor and his team created when designing the MacGregor swing keel trailer was to literally use the weight of the keel itself to hold down the vessel and prevent any moderate to significant movement when trailering. There, in fact, have been various opinions as to whether the boats should be strapped down to the trailer. Most prudent owners opting to strap the vessel to the trailer. If you wish to use the type of trailer that is shown in the picture (which looks like a trailer designed to be used with a small motor vessel) it might be a good idea to enlist the opinion of an engineer before fabricating any modifications. The best to you and your endeavor.
Well that is my trailer. It now has a Rhodes 22 sitting on it. I brought it to a trailer shop and had them remove the EZ-Tilt rollers and they welded some "ears" along the edge of the two longitudinal beams so I could through bolt skids. I have not done a lot of trailering with it yet but if I do... I will want to remove the remaining rollers and add a stout beam to rest the keel upon.

Giro

Jul 23, 2019
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Monterey
Oh, I now understand. The picture must have been taken prior to your doing that. I guess you pretty much have everything under control, then.

Jan 19, 2010
Searched the computer but I don't have any pics of the boat on the trailer now.

Seadoc

Aug 4, 2016
Macgregor 25 Virginia
Something I've thought about is how much the stern can safely overhang the trailer. My current Macgregor trailer which I believe came with the boat carries the boat with the stern overhanging the trailer by perhaps 2 to 3 feet. I can't verify that now since she's up on stands.

Has anyone out there added a 2nd axle for increased towing stability and to give an extra measure of peace of mind should a tire quit while towing?

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
I converted a powerboat trailer. It had V-shaped crossmembers, which gave room for the keel. I added a second axle, with electric brakes for extra stopping power. Got my axles, wheels, springs, etc from southwestwheel.com
The keel weight rides directly over the axles, and the rest of the boat hangs over the back. Tongue weight is perfect and it tows like a dream. It has made the round trip from northern Maryland to the Keys 3 times without incident.

Jan 19, 2010
I converted a powerboat trailer. It had V-shaped crossmembers, which gave room for the keel. I added a second axle, with electric brakes for extra stopping power. Got my axles, wheels, springs, etc from southwestwheel.com
The keel weight rides directly over the axles, and the rest of the boat hangs over the back. Tongue weight is perfect and it tows like a dream. It has made the round trip from northern Maryland to the Keys 3 times without incident.
I have that exact same winch cover on my trailer....;)

Nice looking trailer BTW:

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
I put a torsion axle on mine last year. Stock trailer was chewing through springs and tires. I moved it back a bit so I would have more tongue weight. It had none. Now it trails great and the tires are wearing evenly. I set the travel so I am even lower to the ground. That helps a lot on shallow ramps. A local trailer company, Trailer Parts depot was great. Still not galvanized but with a touch up every year I should be fine. I dip it in the ocean almost every weekend during the season.

Jan 19, 2010
Still not galvanized but ...
1583340216244.png

1583340228916.png

and I have personally used this one several times with good results...
1583340264154.png

Here is an example of a very old trailer I repainted.... This picture is two years after painting.

Trailer2.jpg
trailer3.jpg
trailer4.jpg