Replacement for 5411?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave Ullrich

Gordon, Is there a direct drop-in replacement for my Universal 5411? My trans is only 2 years old... Would there be any savings by ekking it? Althoughthe engine is still chugging along, it's too weak (not enough HP) and is getting old... What about approx cost (no labor)?

D

Doug Margison

Try Kabuta, I think..

I had a 79 Catalina 30 with a 5411 engine. It was getting old and tired and smoked a bit, athouth it seemed to keep going and going like the energizer battery. I thought of replacing it with a new engine and contacted the local Catalina dealer. He put me in toulch with Kabuta who apparently makes a 16 hp engine that will fit the mounts for the 5411under the galley cabinet. Suggest you contact your local Catalina dealer. Also, Torresen can probably tell you which engine will work since they are familiar with Universal engines. I did do a bit of reaseach on it but in the end, rather than spend a lot of money upgrading an old boat I decided to sell and bought my current Hunter 30. Had a lot of good years with my Catalina though. Looking forward to a lot more with my Hunter. Happy Sailing Doug

G

Gordon Torresen

5411 replacement

The Universal 5411 was a Medalist block built between 1977 and 1982 and was rated 11 HP at 3000 RPM. It replaced the 30 HP Atomic four in the Catalina 30 evolution. As you state, it is underpowered for the application, even when running like new. Catalina later replaced it with the 21HP M-25, another Medalist block, and then the 23 HP M-25XP, based on a Kubota block. The 25'S were a little overkill but the choices were somewhat limited. The best choice for repowering a Catalina 30 is the Universal M3-20B, a current production engine rated 20HP at 3600 RPM, again on a Kubota block. Minor modifications are required, including getting top clearance, but the installation is quite straight forward, dn drop-in. We generally have an M3-20 in the show room because it is a popular engine. The engine, with a reversing gear, currently has a list price of $7,080.00. We would be happy to discuss this with you further if you are so inclined. I believe that the extra HP will preclude the use of your present reduction gear, but we do consider trades.

Status
Not open for further replies.