Replace Stuffing (while in the water)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob

I'm interested in replacing the stuffing in the stuffing box for my '78 Hunter 30. I've never done this before - - and have been trying to find more information on this subject by checking the past forums on "stuffing box." The stuffing box is leaking quite badly right now - - about one drop a second with engine off! My question - - can I replace the stuffing while the boat is still in the water? I am reasonably mechanically inclined; have replaced almost all other systems on the boat (including the 'bulletproof' sanitation hose throughout!). I'm looking at low cost options - - not interested in the 'dripless' system at this point. Thank you!

R

Ron

Yes!

That's how I, as well as the boatyards do it. Just have all your tools ready and your bilge pump on. Probably a quart a minute enters the boat. There isn't that much clearance between the shaft and the tube to let a lot of water in. Now, have you tried adjusting the packing you have. Usually a slight turn on the nut will stop the leak unless it has been tightened prior to you going in there. Ron/KA5HZV

B

Bill O'Donovan

Dilemma

If you do nothing, you'll continue to bail water. But you can't possibly dismantle the stuffing nut and pull out the old stuffing while the boat is the slip, because the water will gush. Sometimes it takes hours to pick (and drill) the old stuffing. A compromise, subject to review by others reading your post, is to make ready three circles of stuffing box flax. Twirl off the brass fitting and quickly get two or three of the circles imbedded before tightening up. As a precaution in case you find yourself taking on too much water, close the raw water seacock and have a slightly longer hose ready to suck the burbling water from the stuffing box as the engine coolant while the engine is running. Or else have a buddy stand by to pump into a bucket as you twirl and stuff. The stuffing box is to boats what teenagers are to life, maddening when they don't cooperate but delightful when they do.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
If you are not sure, have a yard do it!

Bob: If you are not sure about doing this yourself, you should consider having a yard do it. They are going to charge you for about an hour labor. I would get this taken care of ASAP. This is exactly when the bilge pump fails. Not when your bilge is bone dry.

D

Don

Easy job

Several years ago I posted the same question here and got every response from "its easy" to "the boat will certainly sink immediately, with you in it." Opinions are ... well, you know. I do this routinely on my 37.5, and I am NO mechanical wizard. Unless your boat is significantly different, it's no big deal. My boat has a white plastic nut and coupler, unscrew the nut, pick out the old packing (go ahead and buy the pick from West, it's worth it) cut the strips and put them in, screw the nut back. I get something more than an trickle but not a lot of water while the nut is out. If yours has a more complicated system (brass?, I'm not sure what it could be), get someone from the marina or a piermate that has done this before and watch them the first time. Be SURE you have a wrench that fits the nut (again, go ahead and buy the wrench from the store, it's worth it too.) I keep that wrench tied in the compartment near the drive shaft. That way I never have to search for it when/if I really need it. Also, it does help to have someone else there to hand you things and to remind you to take a deep breath. It's like jumping into cold water, just take a deep breath and do it. It's hard to see water coming into your boat, we're sensitized against it. But it will be fine. You do have insurance, right? Good luck.

R

Ron

Bill

With all due respect, that is a bunch of CR---! Anyone who can't repack a stuffing box in the slip is screwed on the ocean. This is soooooo easy my wife can do it. But, I agree with Steve... if you aren't sure how easy it is, pay someone the first time and watch. You'll be amazed. As for water, "Gushing In," there is only about .040 clearence between the shaft and the tube (.020 per side) so water can't possibly gush in. Have you ever tried changing one in the water??? It's a breeze... And Don, I have the brass nut type and it's the same as you posted.. Ron

M

Mike H

Should be doable

Simple test: unscrew the packing nut, and see how bad the water flow is. If the leak rate makes you nervous, put the nut back and let the yard do it. I think the flow will be more than a trickle but most definately not a gush. Unless your stuffing flax has turned to concrete, you should be able to remove the old flax and install new fairly quickly. I agree that you should pre-cut the flax for quick install. It should take 3 lengths of flax (make sure you have the right size flax!). Don't forget to cut the flax at a diagonal, goo it up with teflon grease, and stagger the joints as you insert the new flax. Replacing the stuffing flax is not a hard or particularly challenging job, in my opinion.

I

Ian McGain

Stuffing box- 2 options

I have a '79 Hunter that had a stream rather than a drip. This is the end of September and your boat is in Washington State- How many weeks until it comes out of the water 6-8? Right now- Back off the nut, see what cordage is left- if none- pack back out- if some- pull one ring and pack out. When you boat comes out of the water in late October-November- use a puller type corkscrew and remove all cordage- For $65-75.00 you can repack with the dripless system with one turn of packing. I am now on my second sailing season with this hybread system. The only problem is working from the quarter berth with two wrenches in your hands leaning down behind the engine to get at the damm stuffing box.

B

Bob

Thank you!

Thank you all for the excellent information. I'll try checking it first, and take all of your advice. Thanks.

J

J. Tesoriero

One more opinion

I have a 1980 Hunter 30 with the 2QM15 engine. On my boat, there was only a tiny bit of clearance between the adjusting nut on the stuffing box and the engine/shaft flange. Most Hunter 30's have the smaller 12 h engine. Even with the boat out of the water, it took me a long time to find an instrument small enough and a longer time to dig out the old packing. Even then, I could not get much new packing into the nut. Two years ago I replaced my stuffing box with a new drippless model. On inspection, years of old and probably some original stuffing had been packed tightly in the nut. If I had waited any longer, there may have been enough time and pressure to make an artificial diamond in there. I know some folks who replace their stuffing in the water, but you have to be a very calm person. I don't even like to pull and clean my thru-hull speedo. Good Luck!

B

Bob Bass

Get Teflon Packing

These have been some excellent postings and you should be able to do it yourself, but might want to seek out someone from the dock that has done it before to help. By all means, though, replace the packing with the Teflon impregnated material. It will last much longer and run much cooler with less wear on the shaft. Good luck.

M

Mark M Smith

YES!

I have done this in the water, Just cut the stuffing BEFORE loosening the stuffing box (to the diamature of the shaft) then loosen stuffing box pull out the old (Water will come as you do this-Bilge pump) apply the ptf oil to the box and then place the new stuffing 180 degrees from each other-tighten to one drop a min-Done! Run the boat for a while then reset

T

Terry

HI BOB, I'M HERE IN MUKILTEO, AND HAD A ...

H28 in slip E13 south for a few years. I am now in Semi-ah-moo. I recently replaced the stuffing on my P42 while it was on the hard. The hardest part was breaking loose the jam nut. Call me at 425/513-9673 if you want me to drop by. I have other commitments today, but tomorrow afternoon 2:00 p.m. I'm available. Terry

P

Pete

Packing mission!

Today I went out to our moored H280 and checked the packing gland and after trying to tighten it, found it started leaking more,in fact a small stream! I had never changed packing before so knew it was now or never. I drove to Boat US and got some 3/16" flax with teflon,and a packing pick. From info on this site,I cut the packing by wrapping it around the shaft tightly and slicing it on a diagonal where it over lapped. I used 4 pieces. I found the water did not rush in as I expected but rather ran about a pint or so during the 10 minute operation during which I pulled out the old stuff,then inserted the new rings of packing into the nut. I pushed it in by screwing the nut onto the male part until each ring was seated,then backed it out and repeated for the 3 other pieces. Only problem I had was Hunter told me should be 1/4" packing. Luckily I found the owners manual which stated 3/16" .(1998 H280) Brass nut,1" shaft. Fairwinds and good luck~~Pete "Eastern Sky"

J

Jeff

PLastic disk

On my 28.5 there is a plastic disk between the locking nut and the packing. Any sugestions on how to get the disk out?

P

Pete

plastic disk?

I don't know about that plastic disk. Sounds like I would sure call Hunter directly and ask about it though to see what it's function is supposed to be.Pete

D

Doug

plastic disc

the disc can be "shaken" loose by pulling the shaft log up and down, side to side. It will eventually loosen and can be removed. When I first replaced my packing and removed the plastic nut I thought "no wonder it leaks - there isn't any packing!" Once the "washer" is free you'll see the flax packing. I did it while the boat was in the water. Not as bad as I feared. Having someone with you is a good idea. Doug s/vBrendaGail

R

Ron

Soooooo Glad

I'm so glad there are finally some common sense people posting about stuffing box packing and not the usual group who have never tried it yet still scream, "The Boat Will Sink, The Boat Will Sink!" I'd like to suggest to those who have never attempted to change the stuffing while the boat is in the water (or anything else they never tried to do)to not post what they THINK will happen. Let try to keep these forums to what really works and not conjucture. Bill, are you listening?? Ron

R

Randy Williams

No problem!!!!!!

I replaced the entire stuffing box on my 88Hunter30 while it was in the water. The replacement of the stuffing should be no problem. The origional plastic stuffing box cracked on me , I replaced it with a bronze unit - about 2 years ago. hardest part was getting the coupling flange off of the prop shaft so I could slide the old box off & new box on, used a bearing puller & heat to get it off. Good luck - & don't forget those white washers. Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.