Repairing Cracks......

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcneeb

Apr 1, 2008
Yamaha MKII Bay City
I have been in the process of cleaning up an Y-25MKII and I have stumbled onto a potential problem. I was working on grinding the rust spots out of the keel and noticed that the area below where the propeller shaft passes through the hull was peeling apart quite badly. I slowly ground into it, looking for the end of the cracking and peeling. I evenutally got to the point where water seemed to start dripping from the bilge and there were still cracks and deterioration. It appears as though the problem runs up to and around the area where the prop passes the hull. The question is, has anybody ever dealt with repairs of this part of the boat? If so, what approach did you take?

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
First you have to dry it out.

Then you just follow well established fiberglass repair methods. making certain that you make your repair about 12 times as wide as it is deep. Polyester resin will work fine. use alternate layers of chopped strand mat and woven cloth. Compact it well with an air roller. grind off the lumps and meat hooks. Add one final coat of resin and then paint

Status
Not open for further replies.