Removing the walls of the Head on a Mac26x

Dec 6, 2018
MacGregor 19 Lake Isabella
I find the Mac26x head compartment to be too confining and blocks access to the under cockpit "pizza oven" double berth on the starboard side.

I want to remove the head door, cut out the top half of the head walls, and sinks and replace with a curtain situation. My question is "Is that molded head compartment inner lining structural? Would I weaken the integrity of the hull or deck by removing the top 3/4 of it?" If not, I think this would open the boat up alot, give more room to use the head, and give decent access to the double berth under the cockpit.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I'm not an owner, but my first thought was that an interior bulkhead realignment or removal in any production boat (or non production one, for that matter) would affect the integrity of the hull. But especially one like yours that was designed to provide a relatively large amount of interior space by reducing the number of bulkheads needed.

Perhaps you could devise a way to open up the space without totaling removing the bulkhead. I was thinking of something like a large framed opening that would still provide support for the deck and sides. I can't help visualizing the hull "oil canning" because of structural support removal. Good luck.