Removing rudder on my Hunter 44DS

Jun 29, 2004
- - Cape May
Hope I'm placing this message in the proper place. I have a small delamination on the top of my rudder and need to remove it and take it home to make repairs. I am hoping someone has done this before and can give me some guidance or tips on the difficulty of this project. Any thoughts or information would be very appreciated.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I assume These threads might help with your large spade rudder like mine:

Attachments

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
Years ago, I repaired a delamination on my Catalina rudder while it was on stands, without dropping the rudder. It was a quick one day job. Is there a chance you can do that?. It’s much less work if that is an option.

I’ve dropped the rudder on the Catalina too, to replace it, and that was a lot of work!

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
I have removed mine without much problem. Of course it is on 1999 Catalina 36. It may be much larger on a 44 footer. It does need 3 person to hold from bottom while unhooking from top. It is definitely doable.

Jun 18, 2013
Hunter 44DS East Greenwich, RI
Jim22907, I read your post with interest. I may have the same issue, same boat. Did you manage to remove the rudder? Would appreciate any details on this project. Thanks much!