Removing headliner on a H38

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 38 Pentwater MI
I have a stain coming through the vinyl coated fabric headliner in the main salon of my H38. I want to pull the headliner to examine this but am hesitant to do it without knowing if this can be done without further damaging the fabric.

Has anyone pulled the headliners to inspect behind them and then reinstalled them? Any tips?

Oct 10, 2008
Catalina 445 Yorktown
On occasion I've had to remove a small section to gain access behind the headliner on my H386 (soft headliner too). In some places there was sufficient material rolled into the groove on the support frames and in some areas it was a bit tight/short. I quess it was a function of the installation. Anyway, there's at least two options to try. First, try to determine where the leak might be coming from and locate the nearest light fixture or port opening. Remove the "beauty frame" from the light/fixure and you'll see the staples. Remove the staples and you might be able to look behing the headliner enough to explore where the leak is coming. Use a strong light to explore. Secondly, if you need to remove the headliner from the support frame, do that, but only as much as you need to gain access. It'll go back in place by rolling a CD along the track which pulls the headliner tight again. Once you find the source of the leak it's a matter of determining how much of the headliner you need to disconnect. I like the looks of the soft headliner, but when it comes to working behind it - it's a bummer. Go slowly and you might get lucky.

Nov 17, 2008
Hunter 38 St. Petersburg
I have a stain coming through the vinyl coated fabric headliner in the main salon of my H38. I want to pull the headliner to examine this but am hesitant to do it without knowing if this can be done without further damaging the fabric.

Has anyone pulled the headliners to inspect behind them and then reinstalled them? Any tips?
Pat, Scott B recently posted this link about how to remove the headliner:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/hunter/47731-headliner-2.html#post425160

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.