• Sailing is all about the Weather.

Big into the exploration of Atlantic Hurricanes since Katrina came uninvited into his world, James (Jim) Gurley (JamesG161) has followed every Tropical Storm birthed in Atlantic, Gulf and Caribbean waters since. Being a boater, he knows that we often need more time to prepare than we get from the TV weather folk. Jim relies on the science of storm development to share early warning info with friends and fellow boaters.

Early in 2018, Jim and John Shepard, (JSSailem) started to chat about the weather data available. John asked Jim to help forecast Pacific NW storms, and this morphed into discussions on weather forecasting.

For John, sailing in the PNW is sometimes hit and miss. One day is ugly, then a string of beautiful days but no wind, followed by a series of blue-sky days and 12 knot breezes. Being ready for those great sailing days means you need to look to the Pacific Ocean and what is brewing. John has been into Pacific NW Weather since the 1970’s when his first PNW November storm hit bringing more than 40 days and 40 nights of continual rain.

Together we want to share information, new APPs, safety, and thoughts about letting the weather help you. Identify some of the resources for sailors and help prepare you for your next sailboat outing.

It is far better to go out on the water knowing what to expect in weather terms, than to be out on the water and see dark ominous clouds suddenly appear, unprepared.

Remnants of Tropical Depression 3

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
This disturbance is being monitored closely.

First look shows a Canadian High, over Iowa now, will keep it off the East Coast and curve it out to be a Fish Storm.
____
The Good New is TD3 brings Heat Relief and that area of FL and Bahamas has a lot of Warm Water.
Small storms always help reduce that Ocean Solar Energy [heat].

Jim...

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Up here in Northern New England, it went from 90s to low 70s in less than a day. It is actually cold at night now.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Cold... 70's. Will you have some awful thin blood or thin skin layer.
If you think about coming out sailing in our PacficNW (and I hope you do) you had better bring your warm jammies and Winter Parka.
it was 54 at sunrise. Clear blue skies.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Those where mid-day highs.
And
I am thin blooded. But good jammies are a must that I appreciate.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I tried my best this morning not to suppress NOAA concerns.
But I and few others privately where wondering about TD3.:rolleyes:
They even sent out the Hurricane Hunters... good practice I guess...
recon_AF303-0103A-CYCLONE.png

I looked a Data Buoy 41010 where the HH found maximum winds.
plot_wind_pres.php-2.png

Looks like good sailing weather to me.:doh:

Jim....

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
20 knot winds with 38 knot gusts?
Yeah, if you like knock downs, the weather is great for sailing. Perfect for a 19' centerboarder.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Rick While I moor my boat in Seattle, I awoke in Salem OR this morning.
The clear sky's lasted for about 4 hours.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Rick While I moor my boat in Seattle, I awoke in Salem OR this morning.
The clear sky's lasted for about 4 hours.
There was a time in my professional life when I made a number of business trips to Seattle. I was in awe of the beauty of the Cascades, the Sound, and the Straits,....when they could be seen. Landing to the South in SeaTac is one of the most beautiful approaches anywhere.....in VFR.....:)