reinstalling C22 swing keel

ambler

Dec 7, 2013
catalina 22 11619 Watauga Lake, TN
I'm reinstalling my swing keel after fairing. I am only able to get 3 of the bolts in. The hole in the brass hanger is about 1/16 inch out of alignment with the weldment. Has anyone had the same problem and solved it? I did not mark the hangers right and left on removal but the dimensions seem to be the same for both. I'm not looking forward to dropping the keel again to switch out the hangers unless that's likely to help.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
b4 dropping the keel again, I'd replace the bolts with threaded rod/nuts/washers, back 'em off for enough wiggle room, insert 4th rod, tighten 'em all up, remove rods, insert bolts...essentially how I got mine back up/aligned/in place (although I did mark them port/stbd). Or drill out/enlarge the 4th hanger hole 1/16"....fwiw

ambler

Dec 7, 2013
Thanks,rpludwig. That did it. It still was a bit touchy. I had to raise the keel 1/4" at a time to keep the hangers from binding up on the rods. I also raised the keel off the trailer roller so it could move freely side to side. I also measured the hangers and couldn't find any difference in size or hole placement.
Thanks again, this forum has been a lifesaver all during this project, particularly Stingy and Clouddiver.

Attachments

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Good you got it back together! Yup, this is 'da place for all things C22...most everything I've learned came from, or thru this forum, including the threaded rod thing!

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
Nice keel job and good tips for re-installing. I never even thought to mark left or right...

ambler

Dec 7, 2013
If I had to do it over (and I hope I never will) I would mark L and R. However I don't think there is any difference between the two. With the keel off I replaced the hanger brackets to measure the gap between them. I didn't want to add thickness to the keel pin hole such that it wouldn't fit between the hangers . I found that the gap at the forward end was about 1/16" narrower and there was no difference when I switched L and R. When I had trouble aligning the bolt holes I measured the position of the holes in the hangers and the two hangers seemed be identical. However I would still mark them to be sure.

Jan 23, 2015
catalina catalina22 Trailer
I broke off a weldment bolt . after replacing the weldmen my talignment on the hanger was off just a tad. I had to elongate the hanger hole just a bit to make it fit.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Mine were a bit involved-- complete trapezoids that didn't line up for diddly when I bought new hangers. Sent them off to the machine shop, cut them down and hogged them out : And yes starboard and port can definitely influence your fit -- in my case dramatically --

IMG_3274.JPG
IMG_3273.JPG

Jan 23, 2015
catalina catalina22 Trailer
Nice machine work . no problem fitting now. Yes I had to mark mine starboard and port, when I installed my weldment I think I epoxied it in on a very slight angle so just one hole I had to elongate.