Regarding furlers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 12, 2007
Sirius 21 Barrie ON
I like a furler for all the reasons Rob does. They are a great investment. They are a little more "fussy" if you trailer a lot like I do. That is, I don't have a seasonal slip YET! Darned waiting lists!
If you set up and take down regularly, then just a forestay is easier. For one thing the weight of the foil and drum require muscle to connect to the stem head. A second person is really a must to help fix the pin. Perhaps mast raising systems overcome the strength needed, and thus make it easier to set the pin.
As far as hanked on foresail control, it is easy to rig a downhaul for the jib, that can dowse the sail in very short order. With a hank on jib, you really need to have an efficient main reefing system, as the main will be the only way to reef, and keep you in the cockpit.
If you have an original jib, you'l see there are slab reefing groments. While it may be more effort to set the jib reef on the water, you can always start out reefed if it looks spirited on the lake, then resort to reefing the main, or fly main only should further sail reduction be needed. It's a different mindset with a hanked on jib. It is much easier to shake out a reef than to set one, so reef early!
In the end, it's all about comfort level, and working with what you have. I would however like to find an original slab reefed jib, and get accustomed to using it and compare the two methods for the sailing I do.
For sure I'd be using a furler if I was in a slip, no question.

Eric

Apr 22, 2009
Sirius 21 Binghamton, NY
If your economic environment is anything like it is around here, then there should be slips opening up soon. People can't pay the bill, or they bought the slip and then decided to sell their boat to pay the bills.

Status
Not open for further replies.