Refinishing Teak

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Christine

Just purchased a 1983 C22, that has been in storage for past 5 years. It needs a little TLC and alot of elbow grease. I have removed,cleaned, bleached and sanded all of the teak and am getting ready to refinish. I have decided to use Cetol, and am wondering if I should start with satin and top coat with Gloss. Teak is in beautiful condition now, and I don't want to screw up all of the prep work I've done so far. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

T

Ted

Poly or Oil ???

I used oil to refinish the teak and it did not seem to last. I then tried polyurethane and achieved much better results. I am not very familiar with Cetol, but it is highly recommended by many sailors. Regards, Ted

P

Peter

I recommend using Cetol rather that using oil or poly. Cetol will penetrate and give a durable, soft luster. Oil will not last long, adn will require regular maintenance. Poly is very glossy, and in my experience, chips easily once it hardens. The Cetol can be maintained by giving it an annual scrub with a "scotch guard" and applying a maintenance coat. One drawback is that Cetol tends to add an orangy tinge to the wood--a small price, I think, for a very good finish. Many of the owners in our marina use Cetol and like it.

R

Rico

I remember...

not so long ago teak restoration/maintenance was a hot topic in the " forum du jour " . There was a lot of response and good advice given. Check the archives. As I remember one key factor that was underrepresented in these discussions was the climate and conditions to which the teak will be exposed. Another was willingness to maintenance. Apply these two components to your situation and the merits of various suggestions will align themselves. Rico

L

Lawrence K. Selan

Catalina's and Cetol

Christine, Recently completed a re-finish job on my C-25. I used 3 coats of color Cetol and one coat of gloss coat. Result came out ok, but if I were to do it again, would not put on the gloss coat. Makes it look too shiny. Also be sure to wipe with Acetone before putting on Cetol to get all the moisture off. Note: when you get Cetol on the gelcoat (and you will), plain rubbing alcohol will remove it. Good luck. LKS (C-25, #4588, Carpe Ventum)

Status
Not open for further replies.