Reefing rigging questions

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
Our new main sail has a second reef point, so I'm revisiting our reefing system as I think about rigging it. Thus, a couple rookie-ish questions (I know, this is likely a religious war second only to anchoring...)

Previously, we've used a single-line reefing system, with the line led back to the cockpit. It seems to work smoothly, so I have no real complaints; but after a bit of reading, I'm coming to understand the advantages of double-line reefing (most importantly, greater control of the clew tension). But 2 double-line systems could be a lot of string running around the deck.

1) Is it possible (and sensible) to reuse the Cunningham for the 2nd reef tack line? In this system, anytime we put in the first reef, I'd pull the Cunningham hook and put it in the 2nd reef cringle. If we need to reef further, we'd use the Cunningham as our tack line. The Cunningham is attached at the mast base, so its angle might differ slightly from a block on the boom, but the sail slugs shouldn't let the sail move aft anyway. Good thought? Crazy / bad thought? It only saves one line, but it seemed worth considering.

2) More generally, where and how do other more experienced C-22 sailors like to run their reefing lines? I currently have 6 lines led aft to the cockpit (including 1 reefing line). Moving to 2-line reefing and adding the second reef point could add as many as 3 more, which seems like a lot. I could:
A) Run all lines aft (lots of line on the deck)
B) Stick with single-line for the first reef and run 2 lines for the second reef to the mast (1st reef from the cockpit, 2nd at the mast).
C) Cleat the 2nd-reef clew line on the boom and reuse the Cunningham as described above (1st reef from the cockpit, 2nd requires a trip to the mast and cleating on the (moving) boom.
D) Some combination or variant of the above
E) Something I haven't thought of at all...

Thanks

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Aaron:

There are single line "jiffy" reefing systems which use "hooks" for the tack(s) of the reef(s); and have line(s) which pull the clew both down and out.

Usually on a smaller main and smaller boat, where your likely reefing is done by having someone go up to the mast, that can be accomplished without all of that line coming back to the cockpit.

If by a "single line" reefing, you mean that the tack and clew (of each reef) are both brought down to the gooseneck and aftward end of the boom by a single (long) line, then I find that i) you have a bunch of spaghetti in the cockpit or on the deck; and ii) the ability to tie-in a "good" reef is often more problmatic.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
Aaron:
If by a "single line" reefing, you mean that the tack and clew (of each reef) are both brought down to the gooseneck and aftward end of the boom by a single (long) line, then I find that i) you have a bunch of spaghetti in the cockpit or on the deck; and ii) the ability to tie-in a "good" reef is often more problmatic.
Sorry I wasn't clear; yes, my current single-line setup is of this sort, as in this image: http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/attachment.php?attachmentid=13053&d=1384976002 (using Amsteel for most of the line, to reduce friction through the reef cringles). It works OK, but, as you said in (ii), it's not ideal for clew tension. Thus my thoughts of revisiting double-line systems.

Sep 11, 2015
Hunter 31 Marina del Rey
I do not like single line reefing because you can set the tension well but that is your choice. On my boat the tack is on a hook and the one reef line is lead to the cockpit. There is a loop between the clews of the first and the second reef. So, if you want to put in the second reef, first you do the the first reef, then go on deck, secure the first reef, attach the reef line to the loop, loop it through the second reef clew then attach it to the boom, go back in the cockpit, pull in the second reef, etc. It does take some time but there is only one reef line.