Reefing Mac 26s

Jan 19, 2019
Oday 27 Hudson, Wisconsin
Just wondering how best to reef my mac 26s.
The main foot isn't free (slides into boom) so those little ropes in the mainsail are probably not useful to me (since I'm not supposed to tie around the boom)
Also, our boom used to use a gooseneck attachment - now we attach the boom with a plain bolt, but I'm guessing it was set up for rolling the main around the boom? Our current main sheet setup is mid-boom though, so rolling the main to reef is probably not an option if we don't mod the mainsheet.
Finally, the outhaul rope that is attached to our boom is not long enough to go through the outhaul ring on either of the reef points - do we just need to attach a designated/new rope whenever we reef? Or should we just put a longer rope for the outhaul??

Thanks!!

~Lisa

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
Does your sail have a reefing cringle? Do you have a ram's horn (hook) on your gooseneck?

Feb 1, 2011
Catalina Macgregor Hunter 14.2, 26CB , 33 Cherubini Stuart
On our Mac 26 CB as with other boats past and present we added hardware and additional lines for reefing.
You could simply lengthen the outhaul and use it to tie the reef cringle to the boom but it's not as fast/safe/convenient as having a dedicated line already there. On the mast side the system could be an eye strap with opposing cleat, reef hook, or lines led aft. Many options dependent on how and where you sail.
Our system has two dedicated lines for our two reef point clews separate from the outhaul. On the mast end we have a line through an eye strap. I would not want to chase the boom outboard end around underway to take or shake a reef.
Having a topping lift is also very helpful while reefing to keep the boom end up. If the smaller lines (little ropes) are in line between the reef cringles the are for neatening the extra sail cloth. We usually roll it and tie it to the boom for better visibility.

Best Regards

Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
Lisa,
I don't believe any of the Mac's were set up for boom roller reefing. If your mainsail has the reefing ties, then it probably also has the reefing cringles on the leech as shown in the following pic:
Boom down.jpg

Also, it isn't too much trouble to add a dedicated clew reefing line like I have done. A cheek block below and slightly aft of where the cringle would meet the boom when reefed and a jam cleat further up towards the mast. (the little black line in the pic)
BTW, go ahead and use the reef ties, even if it isn't a loose footed sail. (Just don't tie them very tight.)

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Sorry but that is not a picture of a stock Mac 26s or most eaarly Macs maybe a X or M model. The reason for rear boom controls is so that the boom can rotate to reef.:banghead:

Lisa,
I don't believe any of the Mac's were set up for boom roller reefing. If your mainsail has the reefing ties, then it probably also has the reefing cringles on the leech as shown in the following pic:

Feb 1, 2011
Catalina Macgregor Hunter 14.2, 26CB , 33 Cherubini Stuart
Sorry but that is not a picture of a stock Mac 26s or most eaarly Macs maybe a X or M model. The reason for rear boom controls is so that the boom can rotate to reef.:banghead:
If you're stating the Macgregor 26 water balllast boats came with factory roller reefing you are mistaken. A check of the manual online will walk you through how to slab reef the boat. None of the diagrams or photos I have ever seen show the control lines (mainsheet) at the end of the boom. My boom looks remarkably similar to the photo that was posted.
Regards

Jan 19, 2019
Oday 27 Hudson, Wisconsin
Thanks everyone for the info and replies!
We do have cringles (like the pic cowpokee posted).
We don't have a rams head hook on our boom anymore (got damaged, and just use a plain bolt, but I think I'll get a new gooseneck for reefing - like in the article timebandit posted)).
I think I'll set up the cheek block and cleat like the pic cowpokee posted - then leave the outhaul dedicate for the non-reefed state.
I'll hopefully try reefing again soon, and let you guys know how it went :)

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Here is a question ---Has anyone slab reefed a main sail with a bolt rope and no gate?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Here is a question ---Has anyone slab reefed a main sail with a bolt rope and no gate?
Anyone that has a Macgregor 26C. i.e. I have. It was much simpler after I converted to a MastGate. Before then the slug stop had to come out.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
I'm confused. Where is the bolt rope? Boom or mast? Trying to figure out the gate/bolt rope reference... please enlighten me.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
Reminds me of a riddle one of my twisted friends came up with: Q: How many pancakes can you stack on a dog house? A: Only seven, because ice cream has no bones.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Bolt rope is in the boom. Has nothing to do with reefing.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
Mine has a loose-footed main on a roller boom with a bolt rope at the mast.

@Justin_NSA , I get it if there are slugs involved, and appreciated your cheeky reply. Just trying to figure out the "slab reefing a main with a bolt rope and no gate" question. Oh well, my daddy always said I wasn't the brightest bulb in the box...