Reefing a Widgeon sail

May 31, 2016
Oday Widgeon Minneapolis
Hi from windy Minneapolis.
I inherited a Widgeon day-sailer which is perfect for my family. I still have the original mainsail and jib and with how windy it’s been here lately, I’ve been reluctant to set sail. I’ve seen a few other boats on the lake with their sails reefed and I’ve been wondering if anyone knows the proper method for reefing a Widgeon mainsail. The methods I’ve found online for other boats don’t quite work and I’d be curious to see if any of you have any tips.

Thank you!

-Cliff02138

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
If you cannot lower the mainsail and tie it off on the boom and your mainsail is not set up with reefing points and lines you will need to take it to a sail maker to install reefing points and then add reefing lines and tie off points.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Might be interested in this thread on reefing a widgeon mainsil. Below is an excerpt from the attached manual on how you can reef your mainsail.

1592427488288.png

Attachments

May 31, 2016
Oday Widgeon Minneapolis
Might be interested in this thread on reefing a widgeon mainsil. Below is an excerpt from the attached manual on how you can reef your mainsail.

View attachment 181102
This would totally work, except the next line in the quote is “the Widgeon is not equipped with roller reefing.” It’s still a great document to have - thank you!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
A traditional reefing setup is the best, and simplest way to go.... rather than trying to rig a slab or jiffy reefing set up. You'll simply need some re enforced cringles sewn into your main at the desired points (use your 9th grade geometry to figure where a 1/3 area reduction line would be.. then you just need to keep some sail ties, (gaskets, whips, nettles... call them what you want) to tie the sail to the boom. The forward most cringle is tied, or hooked, to the tack fitting, the after most cringle is secured so the ties pulls down and back.. you could fix a small pad eye to the boom end if you like. Anyway, that's the way the old salts reefed their sails.... before everyone started using the "slab" reefing method.... it's simple and cheap and you won't have extra lines and expensive blocks to attach to the spars.
Be aware that reefing this way will be a bit more time consuming than the slab/jiffy reef method. But you can set the reef on the beach... and if you find you need more sail.. it'll be easy to take it out.