really getting discouraged looking for my Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Just have her push a shoping cart around the store from the front.

yep,
I guess the biggest drawback, is she doesn't have the feel for sailing. Just operating the tiller doesn't make sense to her. I try to get her to drive the dinghies, or the Hobie, but she doesn't want to. When I do talk her into it, she doesn't want me explaining to her how it works. .

Sep 26, 2010
Macgregor 1993 26S Houston
Hey y'all,
I've looked at so many boats, it's all running together. So today I began printing out sheets on the boats I'm looking at. Comparing travel cost in with the selling prices.
I would like to kinda assess a value to each one based on model year/condition, and the extras included with the boat, like push pit, motor, nav stuff. etc.
I looked a little on line and I didn't see stern pulpits for the Mac. So what would you think a good value is for one? (Sum you probably would make yours, so you don't count, lol)
I can look up sails, stoves etc.
I know I'm reaching here, but I'm trying to make a decent decision on a boat.
It's confusing. Quite a few boats are all around $7500.00, and they have different combination's of stuff.
values?
vhf radio
stereo
stove
gps
wind sped
boat speed
compass
cushions
bimini
IDA sailer rudder
winches
main
jib
genoa
spin
danforth anchor, chain, rode
????
Jim

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
vhf radio -- stereo -- stove -- gps --wind speed -- boat speed -- compass --

The above items I wouldn't add or subtact to the values for different boats as they might all be needing replacing by now and aren't that expensive. For instance we have 2 Garmin Map 76's for redundancy. Bought one new for about $150 and the other in new shape, original packaging, off e-bay for about $90. Now if it has a true 4-6 inch chart plotter I'd add a few hundred for that.

A depth finder in my opinion would be a must for you. Our old one was acting up and we got one with GPS for $200. If you just want the depth figure $100. So these items aren't that much on a $7000+ boat.

We had a VHF with the boat, but it was old. A new one with DSC, is about $100 to $120 and for where you are I'd get one of those but you will have to have GPS input to it for the DSC to work (the reason we went with the Cuda 350 depth finder). No comparison between the new and old VHF. The old one is still on the boat on a second antenna again for redundancy.

cushions

If it doesn't have cushions you will want them and probably figure at least $300-400 if you buy new and can sew the covers yourself.

bimini

A definite plus if it is in good condition. We couldn't live without ours now. Another $225-$300 new.

IDA sailer rudder

We love ours, but never sailed with the stock one. $700 new the last I checked. Still I'll bet most S/D's don't have one.

winches

The boat should have these stock.

main -- jib -- genoa

I'd consider those 3 sails a must or a main and furling head sail (nicer still)

Our sails were probably all orginal and were shot, but we sailed with them and could of used them longer as they had only been repaired in 1-2 places. The new ones are really nice though and to get a new main and roller furler and genoa for it were a little under $1900 if I remember right. We could of cut that cost a few hundred with cheaper sails, but are very happy with what we got.

If one boat had brand new sails and the other had orginal I might give a $1000 bonus to the one. As the difference between their ages got closer together then it might be a wash.

spin

We have one, but have never used it yet.

danforth anchor, chain, rode

We got a danforth and some chain and rode, but replaced it with heavier stuff, so if you think you are going to spend much time on the hook plan on that expense up front and use the danforth as a backup. 22 lb. claw, 30 feet chain and 200 feet of good 3/8 3 twist nylon is a good combo (add it up)

We didn't think much of the pushpit when we were looking, but for us it has proven to be a big bonus. It has helped me in hanging things on the boat and the pushpit and lifelines has really helped Ruth feel more secure in the boat. We would definitely want this on any boat we owned now. I think these are out there and would think they probably are in the $500 range. Maybe someone else has priced them.

If you can I for sure would try an budget at least an additional $1000 for running rigging, anchor, battery, other misc. that you will want pretty soon after getting the boat. We have much more than that.

The one big item you left off is the outboard. This could quickly be a $1200 to $2000+ investment if the one on the boat needs replacing. At this point in time I would want a 4 cycle and not a 2 stroke. For us electric start became a real safety necessity.

Good luck,

Sum

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Oct 21, 2010
Macgregor 26S, "Myuna" Brisbane, Australia
For what it is worth Doehunter, this is the original check list I made up when looking for a boat. I use to print out a copy before going to look at a boat and check things off against this + make any comments I needed so that I could evaluate the boat when I got back home (I guess you are probably doing similar). My 'essential' and 'non-essential' items would probably read differently now. I originally did not see a lot of electrical equipment as being essentail as most of it was relatively cheap to replace, however I am now glad my boat had most of the electrical equipment I needed and it was all in good working order, once I worked out how to operate same and serviced everything - saved me a lot of time and chasing around. On the other hand anchor/s, warp and chain does not take up much time to organise but can get costly, depending on size and type.

My boat came with absolutely no operators manuals or parts lists for the equipment, such as outboard, VHF, radio, etc and it has taken me a long time to inventory all the gear and locate/print manuals for all the gear. I keep a list of all the gear in a MS Outlook 'contact' so I can update everything as I go with Model Nos, Serial Nos, specs, dealer details, service records, etc

Keys things required:

• Bimini for skipper, Boom tent + Side covers, Pop Top covers, Front hatch screens, Boat covers for hand stand
  • Pulpit, pushpit, twin life rails and staunchions
  • Main, Genoa, Storm jib, Spinnaker
  • Roller furling on jib
  • Reefing lines on main + no of reeffing points
  • Sail covers
  • Spinnaker pole
  • Metho stove
  • Good trailer
  • Anchor/s, rope & chain
  • Life jackets
  • Marine radio & aerial
  • Stereo AM/FM/CD
  • Flares
  • Compass
  • Life ring inc.light
  • Fenders
  • Bilge Pump
  • Fire extinguisher
  • Port, starboard, mast top, stern light & cabin lights
  • Cabin + Cockpit cushions
  • Sink
  • Water tank
  • Motor
  • Fuel tank
  • Keel bolt and keel lifting lines replaced?
  • Standing rigging replaced?
Not essential but desirable
  • Depth sounder
  • Electric log / boat speed
  • Chart plotter
  • Wind speed
  • Electric trailer winch
  • Marine battery
  • Electric start / charger outboard
  • Solar panel
  • EPIRB
  • Autotiller

Sep 26, 2010
Thanks guys,
I probably need to just relax, pic a boat and go for it!
Hopefully I'll still have enough after the Havasu trip.
I think I have one picked out. (my luck it'll be gone when I get back!)
Jim

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
.....I think I have one picked out. (my luck it'll be gone when I get back!)
Jim
How about a couple hundred dollar refundable deposit to give you first dibs until the end of next week?

Sum

Sep 26, 2010
thanks Right On!
but Bakersfield California is kinda outside my range.
Ive been looking at boats all over the place, and then I actually calculated how much it would cost to travel to them. It's a lot. Then I'm looking at all those hundreds of miles back with my 6 cylinder Explorer, and possibly no trailer brakes!
I think I need to restrict my search. I have a couple I'm considering in Georgia and Alabama, and just today one surfaced right here in Texas!
Jim

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Doehunter, nice to meet you and your wife in Havasu - you sat in my 26S at the marina.

Long story made very short - had a 18 wheeler clip off my trailer tail light between Kingman and Flagstaff on a slick/snowy I40. This caused a short which took out my truck tail lights. I tried all the fuses - didnt fix the problem. Sumner and I jury rigged the truck tailights to run directly off the 12 volt - got me home just fine. Turns out the hot wire to the tail lights also made the dash board lights work..

Sumner, huge thanks for the help!!

Attachments

Sep 26, 2010
Sum,
The admiral would choose the M hands down, but that would require waiting too long to get the extra funding. I'm still looking at S and D models. In fact, an S popped up as a reply to my craigslist want to buy ad. Right here in Texas. just 2 hours from my house. I'll be looking at it Saturday.
Walt,
sorry to here about your misfortune. Sounds like it could have been a lot worse.
Thanks to you and several others I met at Havasu. I wish I could have been there earlier, and been able to crew on someones boat. OH well. It was a pleasant experience, and I would recommend it to anyone in the market for a trailer sailer. Not sure if I'll make it back next year, but if I can, I will.
Jim

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Personally if I was looking at the X or M it would of been the X. Still for us and our needs we wouldn't trade our S straight across for either, but they are nice boats and meet some people's needs just fine. Some X's are coming on the market below $10,000 now. You could always trade up later form an S or D if you wanted and be sailing in the meanwhile on a boat that isn't really loosing any value.

Walt, we are glad to hear you made it home fine. The more I thought about what happened to you I can't believe that you got away with just getting the taillight ripped off and that the boat wasn't damaged or worst. I told Ruth that Hollywood's best stunt men couldn't stage and do what happened. Maybe you are missing your calling :).

We are out of here in a minute for the long trip to Florida via Penn,

Sum

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Just a note

Tail lights have been wired to the dash lights since the '60 so that people would get the dash lights fixed, it's a safty thing.

If you check a car running without tail lights when you pull up beside them you will notice they have no dash lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.