really getting discouraged looking for my Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDK

Jul 12, 2007
Mac 26D 1988 New Port Richey, Fl
For you guys that have D's, are you rigged so that you can pull the centerboard up from the cockpit? If so does the boat come that way? He is going to be sailing in a lot of shallow water and I'd want to be able to be able to easily and quickly control the center board. Even though ours swings up I put a cockpit uphaul....

Yes, Sum, the daggerboard is controlled from the cockpit via a factory-installed line. In the first picture,

it's the white line in the left camcleat. The second picture

shows a turning block that the PO iinstalled to keep the raising line from cutting into the fiberglass edge it runs over.

I like the room you have by the sink, but I'd hate to lose the versatility of the daggerboard...but I've never sailed an S to see the way it handles, either.

thx
JDK

Attachments

Oct 18, 2007
Macgregor 26S Lucama, NC
Doehunter, the wrinkle [The pic that shows the inside looking from the rear, forwards, it looks like the fiberglass on the port side, up high is kinda wrinkled. ] must be fairly common. I have a similar one on my 26S, and I've seen it on another S. Just cosmetic. -Paul

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
More...

Ohio---expensive, but you never know what people might end up taking...

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...rency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=59089&url=

Florida -- sale pending....

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1992/Macgregor-26s-Sloop-2288571/Stuart/FL/United-States

One in TX--add expired, but wonder if they release info on owner based on hull number...

http://sailingtexas.com/201009/smacgregor26s132.html

New Mexico...little pricey, but has a lot...make offer..

http://sailingtexas.com/201009/smacgregor26s133.html

GA.....S....

http://boats.iboats.com/1993-macgregor-macgregor-26/653967.html

same boat...

http://www.boatquest.com/Sail/MacGregor/Category/Length/114820/Feet/USD/1/boats.aspx

Good luck,

Sum

Oct 31, 2010
88' Macgregor 26D Whiskeytown Lake, CA
Yeah Sum,
The D's daggerboard up-haul is led to the cockpit.

Sep 26, 2010
Macgregor 1993 26S Houston
Hey Sum,
Yes I've seen all these ads. I kinda like the one in Dawsonville Ga. but it's roughly 850 miles one way!
I'm holding out till after I go to the Lake Havasu thing, then If I'm still convinced that the Mac 26 is for me, I guess I'll take the plunge.
Thanks for looking for me.
Jim

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Hey Sum,
Yes I've seen all these ads. I kinda like the one in Dawsonville Ga. but it's roughly 850 miles one way!
I'm holding out till after I go to the Lake Havasu thing, then If I'm still convinced that the Mac 26 is for me, I guess I'll take the plunge.
Thanks for looking for me.
Jim
That is a pretty nice looking boat. Very similar to what ours looked like, at least from the pictures. Ours does have the rear pushpit, which we like and an IdaSalior rudder and centerboard. The rudder is a nice upgrade the centerboard is about the same as the stock one. They were asking $8,000, but took $7500. That was 2 years ago and since then the boats went down and now look to of gone back up to about the same pricing as when we bought.

If you are interested maybe post here and on the other 2 boards if anyone lives near there and if they could take a quick look for you before you went and took a longer one. I just googled the yard where that boat is and zoomed in on the satellite view and they have a ton of boats there. It looks like they are liquidators? I wonder if the boats were repossed or something?

I thought maybe we might be near there in a couple weeks when we go back east and get the Suburban and drive back down to Florida, but looks like we will be a couple hundred miles to the east of the place,

Sum

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
it sold already
I got to noticing on the boat that sold they had the name misspelled "Mcgregor" . Doing a search showed up some others and this one that might be an S or D. Who knows. Maybe it is worth doing searches on the misspelled name from time to time....

http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/boa/2194806710.html

I have a buddy that has bought and sold over 300 cars on the internet and he finds deals where people don't list things under proper headings and/or don't document what they have very well and/or take bad pictures. He will search the internet until wee hours and find a vehicle and call the person up in the middle of the night and offer them way less than they are asking and tells them he will be there the next day to look at the vehicle. He tells me that a lot of times that is all it takes to find a real bargain.

I'm not very good at selling or buying :cry:,

Sum

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Sep 26, 2010
hmmm,
never thought of looking using misspelled words.
I'll give it a shot.
I'm not that good at buying or selling either. I'm too honest. so I sell too low, and I'm too trusting so I pay too much!

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
hmmm,
never thought of looking using misspelled words.
I'll give it a shot.
I'm not that good at buying or selling either. I'm too honest. so I sell too low, and I'm too trusting so I pay too much!
Sumner is right. I sometimes do searches for ''sail boats''. I found my Mac 25 that way. Often if it is misspelled the person doesn't know what they have. I have also found that the art of dickering sometimes entails keeping your mouth shut. When I went to see the boat he dropped the price for $4500 to $4000. I liked the boat and was willing to take it at that price. It was complete with 5 sails including a spinnaker and an asymmetrical spinnaker, genoa, jib and main. The 10hp Honda motor was running. As I was taking inventory he dropped the price to $3K. I still didn't say anything because I was now pondering where I was going to keep it so my wife would not find out until after it was cleaned up. While I was pondering he dropped it to $2K. At this point I felt sorry for the guy and told him I would take it, but I was trying to think of somewhere I could hide it. He told me that it was not a problem I could leave it and work on it there. I kept it there for one year.
When you go shopping try not to look too excited.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2008
MacGregor/Venture 25 Mesa AZ
Cayguy - that is really funny story. I got mine from ebay. When they put it on for only three days, I knew it was going for small dollars. And, surprise, it had a running 9.9 Honda and main and jib in good condition - all for $710. But no trailer (another $1,000) and a ton a barnacles to scrape off - not to mention re-doing the keel. But it turned out great.

Sep 26, 2010
Cayguy,
That's just too funny. Talk about being in the right place at the right time!
Sounds familiar though. The admiral isn't too enthused about me buying a bigger sailboat.
She's kinda scared of them. I keep telling her this one is different than the dinghies or the Hobie. This one wont capsize, and you wont be in the water, unless you want to.
She's not impressed.
jim

Oct 31, 2010
88' Macgregor 26D Whiskeytown Lake, CA
Too funny! My wife was scared of the Hobies too. It got to the point where if there was anything above 5mph windwise, she would'nt go. Definitly NO hull flying allowed!!
haha, the poor wifeys.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Show her this video---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w00suzaDh_A&feature=related

Cayguy,
That's just too funny. Talk about being in the right place at the right time!
Sounds familiar though. The admiral isn't too enthused about me buying a bigger sailboat.
She's kinda scared of them. I keep telling her this one is different than the dinghies or the Hobie. This one wont capsize, and you wont be in the water, unless you want to.
She's not impressed.
jim

Sep 26, 2010
yep,
that's a good one. The boat looks nice too. I'll try her out, but she's a hard sell.
she has a kinda phobia. She doesn't like to swim in lakes cause of imagined creepy crawlies and those pesky fresh water sharks, lol.
I guess the biggest drawback, is she doesn't have the feel for sailing. Just operating the tiller doesn't make sense to her. I try to get her to drive the dinghies, or the Hobie, but she doesn't want to. When I do talk her into it, she doesn't want me explaining to her how it works. I'm hoping the bigger boat will give her more comfort, and confidence. If not, my kids like to go but that's different!
I just give her time, and don't push it.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
..... I'm hoping the bigger boat will give her more comfort, and confidence... .
I have doubts if the Mac is going to help there. These are tender boats compared to a heavier/more ballasted boat.

Ruth is learning to swim and hadn't been on boats before our Mac. She is still getting use to the heeling. Last year 10 degrees stressed her. After getting an above ground pool last summer and spending an hour in it each day and with a year under her belt 14-16 degrees is now the distressing point. One important point is that she wants to go on and will keep pushing herself with this. I doubt though that going past 18 degrees of heel will ever be her thing.

If your wife really wants to sail then maybe give up on the trailered boat and look for something larger in the same price range if you can afford to keep it in a slip. Larger boats in the same price range are out there.

If she is telling you that sailing isn't really her thing, but hey you can go for it, then keep looking for that Mac.

I might have a lead on a '91 Mac. PM me if you are still looking,

Sum

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

May 12, 2010
Macgregor 25 Southern Maryland
I have also found that the art of dickering sometimes entails keeping your mouth shut.
So true. When I bought my Whip sailboat last spring, the person selling it had advertised it for something like $700, negotiable. I simply asked how firm the $700 was, (or how low she was willing to go) and she talked herself down to $500. I felt a little bad, and looked to her father, but he said it was her decision, so the deal was done. I think the boat is worth more than $500, but probably less than $700, so we probably both did fine, but if I had talked too much (and thereby expressed more interest in the boat) the price would have been higher, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.