really getting discouraged looking for my Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
I had no Idea there was that much difference in the cabins between the X,M and the S,D models. Hmmmm?
I think the admiral would go for the headroom! I would go for performance, so I'm just gonna keep that one to myself!
Jim
Don't forget with the pop-top up there is plenty of headroom. I'm 6-1 and don't hit the top. With the top down I'm still ok since below you mainly are just sitting anyway. Not many places to walk around to down there.

Now saying that with the top up you only have the added headroom where the pop-top is and not out to the hull sides like on the X and M. That makes them much larger than the S/D inside. You need to go look at both if at all possible. The X and M are the same length as our S, but looking at them they seem much larger in real life.

If we had it to do all over again we would still buy the S. For us it is really a nice boat. When I looked originally I wanted an S over a D for the swing keel and have been glad that we had that. If you are looking at the D because you think it has a large speed advantage over the S I don't think that is a good reason unless you are into racing and are also prepared to keep the latest new sails on it and the weight at a minimum (no cruising items) and really know how to get the most out of the boat. Otherwise I think you would be hard pressed to tell the difference. I'll bet a S with new sails will outsail a D with older ones with the same skipper;).

Good luck,

Sum

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Jim,
Have you tried the Mac dealer in this area? Here's a page on his website that shows some used Macs. His name is Lance Beauchamp and his yard is in Baytown, not far from Cedar Bayou. Sorry I didn't think of him earlier.

http://www.sailventureyachts.com/usedboats.html
That is a great idea. Go see those boats even if the price is high. You could see the classic side by side with a latter boat. Noticed that....

..... the first classic had pedestal steering. I wouldn't want that myself.

c ya,

Sum

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Apr 30, 2006
Macgregor 26s Kemah, TX
The poptop makes the cabin a LOT cooler if there's any kind of breeze during the summer. My admiral thinks that's one of its best features.

Sep 26, 2010
Macgregor 1993 26S Houston
Sum,
I didn't know if there was much difference in speed, but I had heard there was some.
(when I sail with my kids it's always just for fun, but it always ends up being somewhat of a race too!)
the other thing, it that it seems like the dagger might be easier to deal with from an upkeep standpoint. If I need to pull it out, the boat can stay on the trailer, right?
It seems like it would be structurally more sound than the swing keel. less likely to wobble around.
In the end, I'm sure I'll be happy either way. I just want a boat.
Jim

Sep 26, 2010
Jim,
Have you tried the Mac dealer in this area? Here's a page on his website that shows some used Macs. His name is Lance Beauchamp and his yard is in Baytown, not far from Cedar Bayou. Sorry I didn't think of him earlier.

http://www.sailventureyachts.com/usedboats.html
Hmmm?
I went to find this place a few months ago and it looked like it was gone!
I went north over the 146 bridge, then right and followed the directions on my google maps ap, and nothing was there.
Did I just go to the wrong place?

Sep 26, 2010
In the mean time,
I have emails out to a boat in L.A. and one in Tampa.
I figure you guys have seen the ads. Do they look like reasonable boats for the money?
The one in L.A. does for sure. $5000
the one in Tampa is 7500, and I don't think it comes with much in the way of extras.
http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/boa/2199911777.html
Its from the jaxed/mash site

Sep 26, 2010
I called the Sailventure place and got no answer. I emailed him too. Maybe he's just gone for the day. I'll know by tomorrow I guess.
I would pay more for a local boat, cause traveling to L.A. is 3200 miles round trip.
at 15 mpg and 3.00/gal=$640.00 in gas alone.+ several days in motels, and not to mention my poor old Explorer transmission! + several days off work. I need to save those for sailing!

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
In the mean time,
I have emails out to a boat in L.A. and one in Tampa.
I figure you guys have seen the ads. Do they look like reasonable boats for the money?
The one in L.A. does for sure. $5000
the one in Tampa is 7500, and I don't think it comes with much in the way of extras.
http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/boa/2199911777.html
Its from the jaxed/mash site
OK, I've been preaching about driving a long distance, but maybe those are too far away, especially the one in Calif (3000 miles round trip). Personnally I think they are both a fair bit overpriced, but maybe Macs went up since 6 months ago. We paid $7500, but then they seemed to have gone down quite a bit. Also ours is a S, a little newer, and had extra sails, IdaSailor rudder and centerboard and the rear railing. Those boats seem pretty bare. I'd find out how old the sails are. We didn't know better and ours were really wore out, but got us past a year and we could of still been using them. I'll bet the second one is high because of the new 15 HP outboard. If it is electric start, and I would hope it is, that probably cost them at least $2400. It is heavier than say a 8-10 hp and won't push the boat any faster:cry:.

I'll bet something comes up a little closer with more on it.

Also since the S center board isn't heavy like say the 25's it wouldn't be all that hard to remove it without having to get the trailer completely out from under the boat.

Keep looking and I'll bet something comes up soon,

Sum

Sep 26, 2010
yea, I hear ya.
The guy in Florida is a dealer. He emailed and said they have other motors if I would like.
I asked for more details, and haven't heard back.
Seems like all the clean ones anywhere near me, were around 7500, although most had 3 or even 4 sails, nav stuff, bow pulpit, and bbq.
if I could find one of those, I'd be set!
Oh well. I keep looking every day. When it comes up, i'm ready.

Oct 31, 2010
88' Macgregor 26D Whiskeytown Lake, CA
I agree with Sum, the right deal will pop up. Sometimes the RIGHT deal IS worth driving for..but it's got to be the right deal...and you have to know for sure what kind of condition the trailer is in before you leave. I would drive 3000 miles round trip for a absolute cherry for cheap!
Hey doehunter, I know exactly how you feel about the "D" vs. the "S". I too am an ex-Hobie sailer. Have had several 18's and a Miracle 20 right before the Mac that we own now. Huge performance difference from cat to mono, but worth the trade off for cruising memories with the Fam and being able to take 'everybody' for a day sail. We have three children, so this boat will serve a much better purpose.
Something in my brain would'nt let me buy the S version because of the performance difference. The verticle candy bar shape dagger is a very efficient, especialy when beating upwind when you want good VMG. Not sure about the S, but I know the D version's daggerboard is a correct NACA 0012 foil which further increases it's lift/drag generating properties..which of course has more of an affect the closer you sail to your "theoreticle" hull speed. It wasn't so much about the minute increase hull speed for me as it was about the close hauled sailing to windward. Further more, I would assume there would have to be less slop side to side, dagger vs. centerboard, because there is no mechanicle connection from dagger to boat via pivot point, not to mention that there is no trunk cavity dragging water around under the boat. On, the flip side, I would hate to imagine what would happen if I hit something underwater with the dagger at full speed. This is the main draw back to to daggers in generall. I do however have a nice depth meter that I watch like a hawk when sailing in shallow or unknown areas
All of this is hard to measure, and in fact it may not even matter at all for your particular circumstance. I on the other hand will not only be just day sailing and cruisin with my family, but also club racing with a regular crew. I would like to do as well as possible you know?...so the "D" fullfills MY wants and needs better then the "S" would I think. The "S" would be a fine boat to own, the "D" is just better for us is all I'm saying.
The right deal that makes sense will come along! Hang in there!

Sep 26, 2010
Ha,
Another Hobie 18 sailor. That's what mine is.
I've had 4 other smaller dinghies, and they all had daggers. I guess I just got used to it that way. The Hobie is fun, and the dinghies are too, but I'm getting to the point where I really just want to relax and ride. I'm not in any hurry. can't wait till I can grill some steaks, and watch the moon rise with the admiral on the boat, with the kids all at home!

Apr 30, 2006
Macgregor 26s Kemah, TX
Jim,

It's been a few years since I talked to him. Sailventure was a one man operation so when Lance was out of town or working on something else, I wouldn't hear from him. I'd give him a few days.

The yard was a ways out Bus. 146 on the left side.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
That boat Sumner posted has a new galvanized single axle trailer too. (~$2k)

looks like a D, since it has blue stripes. (like mine).

the bimini is not mentioned either, so maybe more than advertised....

ps: I posted a D for 3k in early november, but you said you didn't have the funds ready at that time....

wait for the right deal! you'll find one.

fwiw: a 25 w/no trl for 4k. * (I assume no trl)

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/boa/2200707355.html

Sep 26, 2010
That boat Sumner posted has a new galvanized single axle trailer too. (~$2k)

looks like a D, since it has blue stripes. (like mine).

the bimini is not mentioned either, so maybe more than advertised....

ps: I posted a D for 3k in early november, but you said you didn't have the funds ready at that time....

wait for the right deal! you'll find one.

fwiw: a 25 w/no trl for 4k. * (I assume no trl)

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/boa/2200707355.html
Yea, but that aint gonna happen again! Except that now prices are going up cause spring is almost here, and I'll probably pay more. It's all good/

Sep 26, 2010
Another question,
I was looking at the ads on this site, and there is a D model listed in Ohio, for 4995.00
The pic that shows the inside looking from the rear, forwards, it looks like the fiberglass on the port side, up high is kinda wrinkled. Is that common? Is it just a poor fit from Mac, or from damage?
http://macgregor.sailboatowners.com/index.php?option=com_adsmanager&Itemid=253&page=showad&adid=6913
Just curious. I think I have seen that in other pics too. If I get a boat and it's like that, can it be flattened out?

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
..The pic that shows the inside looking from the rear, forwards, it looks like the fiberglass on the port side, up high is kinda wrinkled. Is that common? Is it just a poor fit from Mac, or from damage?....

Above is the boat you are looking at. Here is a picture.....

...of ours when we bought it. I don't remember it, but it does look like we have some of that 'wrinkle' in the boat, but then here is a picture...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/inside-15.html

....taken when I was building shelving in that area and it doesn't look so bad. One thing is that that is the inner-liner and not the hull itself, so not structural to any large degree.

Another thing that I never thought about was the fact that with the....

...centerboard trunk there it sure would be in the way of how we....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/inside-13.html

...use the cabin. I sit on the port side and run the stove and do dishes in the sink and Ruth sits on the other side and prepares the food and dries dishes. The truck would sure be in the way for us. If you day sail or occasionally overnight it probably isn't a big deal. Just something to think about.

For you guys that have D's, are you rigged so that you can pull the centerboard up from the cockpit? If so does the boat come that way? He is going to be sailing in a lot of shallow water and I'd want to be able to be able to easily and quickly control the center board. Even though ours swings up I put a cockpit uphaul....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor2/rigging-19.html

...on our center board and we really like that mod now.

c ya,

Sum

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Sep 26, 2010
Thanks,
I figured it might just be how the pieces fit together. It just looks kinda cheezey!
I sure like all the work you have done to your boat. You can bet, you have been an inspiration to many owners/future owners.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
sure, run uphaul to cockpit... but for dropping the board you might need to slow to a stop... so it falls (lead shot might fix that).

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h169/ftldiver2/MACGREGOR/P1010018.jpg

That block does get in the way for pulling the Dboard out...
*(so I plan to drop the board when I replace my lines)

ps: (IIRC) That 87 was the 1st year for W.B. ... some early versions didn't recess the balast valve (bottom of boat), and its a hazard...
(not recommended).

Status
Not open for further replies.