Re wiring a lancer 28

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 24, 2011
Lancer 28 Grand Lake
I am re wiring a Lancer 28. I intend to change it from one battery, to two batteries. I want to be able to switch, from battery A to battery B, to both batteries, in order to charge up the batteries, which would be done, with a solar panel. I intend to run a VHF most of the time, cabin lights (which i intend to change to hardwired LED, I also have a fridge, that will be run some of the time. I probably wont use the navigation lights as we are sailing on the lakes in the midwest, and have no reason to sail at night. At most, we will be out for maybe, thirty hours. What is the smallest solar panel i could get away with, i want the smallest, because their is not much space for a larger one, as i intend to put it on the rail. I had a 35foot boat, and even on that, with a large solar panel on the rail, we had to tillt it, so it didnt get in the way, and i dont like the roll up solar panels, as i found, it just got constantly moved around the deck. Knowing the physical size of the panel is important.

Sep 27, 2010
Lancer 28 Ventura, CA
When I added a second battery two my lancer 28. I made a shelf under the ¼ berth and strapped the battery to the bulkhead forward of the battery. The main battery on my lancer is under rear seat of the dinette and the switch panel is on the passage side of the seat. I installed a Perko battery switch next to the switch panel. I wired the main battery and the second battery to the perko switch using #4 stranded wire. With this switch you can use battery 1 or 2 or both.

Oct 24, 2011
Lancer 28 Grand Lake
The single battery on my boat, is under the quarter berth, on the starboard side. I did notice that their were holes in the locker under the read seat of the dinette, and had wondered if the battery had originally been there, as that would put it next to the switch panel. The previous owner must have moved it to the locker under the quarterberth. I have looked at where it is just now, and their is room for a second battery in the same locker. I will probably use the same or a similar battery switch to what you are using. I have also noticed, their is no breaker or control switch for the shore power, whiich all the shore power seems to do, is supply a few outlets.

May 29, 2009
Lancer 27ps Suisun City
venting

Wherever you install batteries, make sure to provide adequate ventilation and protect the surfaces around the batteries with epoxy paint. A charging battery will put out quite a bit of hydrogen gas and a certain amount of dilute sulphuric acid, if the area seals tight it's possible to build up the hydrogen gas in that compartment, no bueno. a spark from a loose connection will ruin your day

Status
Not open for further replies.