Re-masting My Pearson 28

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gus St. Anthony

I had to have my boat de-masted for a haul from Nc to FL. The mast has probably been on the keel for thirty years. Since the boat was built. When the the crane operator tried to lift the mast out, it was frozen solid ... lifted the boat a foot up in the water before it broke free! Now, I have corrosion damage at the base of the mast, the heel and, probably the shoe. Can anyone give me some pointers on how to best repair this mast? Thanks, Gus

Jun 8, 2004
Pearson 26W Marblehead
Corroded mast step

This is not a big deal. remove the old bolts if you cant get them out saw them off. drill the old bolts out. Tap new holes. Make sure you know the size. to be replaced. Use galvanized bolts. Take the old step to a machine shop and have a new one made. One more thing: I would get a stainless steel step rather than aluminum. You will never have any more trouble.

Jun 1, 2005
Pearson 303 Robinhood, ME
Stainless???

Stainless steel??? Wouldn't that make the mast base corrode faster with dissimilar metals. Your base lasted 20 years... I say use aluminum... and replace in another 20.

Oct 17, 2007
- - Washington, DC
Mast Step

Richard - can you let us know the cost to fabricate a new step for your P303. I may need to do the same on my P303 in the next couple of years. Thanks.

G

Gus St. Anthony

Re: Getting mast base and shoe repaired on my P 28

The boat was delivered by truck this afternoon to a marina in St. James City, FL. From the looks of it, the base of the mast is a female fit ... just the tube ... that slips over some sort of stump in a sleeve down on the keel. Couldn't get into the cabin to see for sure. But the base of the mast has pitting and corrosion for just about a half an inch. The marina mechanic is going to cut a half inch off the bottom and, then, just step it. Assuming, of course, there is no serious damage over the keel. I should be getting a ball park estimate in a few days. I'll post the numbers as soon as I know what they are. Hey! Thanks to everybody for your responses. Gus

Jun 1, 2005
Pearson 303 Robinhood, ME
SV...I can...

but I hope it won't do you any good. I am planning to have a nephew make it for me... he is a gearhead and works in a place that works with alot aluminum. So I am hoping in won't cost anything. Maybe I can ask for two? He is not a sailor... so he wouldn't really know! So I can ask for 1 for each end of the mast! I'll ask him before CHRISTMAS. Actually my step was badly corroded. I used marine tex to fill in all the holes and voids for a quick fix. I think the step lost at least half its thickness in spots due to the salt water brine. I'll keep you posted, Rich

Ariel

Feb 1, 2006
Pearson 36-2 Houston, TX / Rock Hall, MD
Mast Repair

Gus, You may have already read the articles on repairing a corroded mast step on a Pearson 30, but in case you haven't, look at the following: www.pearsoncurrent.com www.pearsoninfo.com Dave

Ariel

Feb 1, 2006
Pearson 36-2 Houston, TX / Rock Hall, MD
Mast Repair - Ops'

Gus, Sorry, the correct web address for Pearsoninfo is: www.pearsoninfo.net, then look at maintenance notes for the 10M. Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.