Raymarine Radar Pod installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 22, 2009
2003 Bavaria 36 Victoria BC
I am considering the addition of a Raymarine RD218 radom radar scanner to my classic C70 chartplotter/fishfinder system. With various boat shows soon coming up, it may be a good time to buy the radom and appropriate mount.
Any recommendations as to preference of a mast installation Vs transom pole mount? I believe the mast installation may be less expensive to install than the pole mount but does anyone have problems with headsail wear and/or conflict between the headsail and radom when tacking.
Thanks,
Bob Baynton
2003 Bav 36

Oct 1, 2008
Bavaria 36 Cruiser Nanaimo, BC
Radar Post

Bob,
I live in South Surrey and moor at Point Roberts. About 4 years ago had same discussion/decision regarding radar placement. I went with the radar post on the transom. I used the post to also mount the GPS sensor and an outboard motor davit. For us it has worked out very well. No extra weight aloft, no sail wear, etc. Range is not really an issue, as 99% of the time I operate in the 6 mile range (or less) anyway.
I purchased the post (powder coated aluminum) from a Seattle manufacturer (SVI or SGI - something like that). It is very good quality and I am very happy with it.
Hope that helps and just my opinion and how it has worked for us,
Tom:)

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
There is a third option for radar dome installation and that is the backstay. They make gimballed mounts for there too. There is no question the higher the dome the further out it will read, so the mast installation is the best from that perspective and the installation may or may not be easier. If you have a deck stepped mast, running the wire into the cabin and back to the unit might be a difficult task. Keel stepped masts is not as big a problem, obviously. I have a pole on the stern of my boat simply because it was an easier installation, but there is more money involved because the pole and mount will add several hundred dollars to your parts needs. But, I like for other reasons as well. I also have a back up VHF antenna, GPS antenna and cockpit light all attached with the various arms available to attach to the pole setup. I used Edson parts. You can also get gimballed dome mounts to keep the dome perpendicular to the horizon or water, which will help give a better reading. I don't have that and it all seems to work fine.

May 22, 2009
2003 Bavaria 36 Victoria BC
Radar post

Thanks for the info Tom. Always helpful to hear from someone with the same boat. If possible, could you send me a picture of your setup? I think you can attach photos to these emails. No rush.
Many thanks,
Bob

njsail

Feb 18, 2010
Bavaria Ocean 40 CC Forked River
I have a Questus marine gimbaled back stay radar mount like barnacle bill described. This isn't the best picture but it gives you an idea of positioning. It's above the solar panels and other antenna are mounted above the Raymarine dome still attached to the Questus gimbal. The radar dome is about 8 feet above the deck. The nice part is it's easily serviceable if needed. I have a hydrolac back stay and the Questus was installed without interfering with it's operation.

Here is the Questus page with practical sailor review.
http://www.questusmarine.com/reviews2.html

winter2010.jpg

I like it and it works fine. The prior owner installed it. If I were doing it myself I might try to make my own stainless pole mount and maybe even get creative and make a gimbal). I was docked next to a guy who made one out of aluminum poles (but the black streaks on the aluminum wasn't very attractive).

Oct 1, 2008
Bavaria 36 Cruiser Nanaimo, BC
Radar Post

Bob,
Here are 2 photos of my installation. One is fairly close up and the other is a sunrise photo of our boat taken by a friend on board their Bavaria 37 at Clam Bay.
I agree with the others, everything involves compromises. This method costs more in parts, but provides an easy short route for wiring, keeps the weight down lower, gives reasonable range, etc. You could (for more money) get a gimballed mount, but again, I have heard they are probably not needed for most applications. Mine is not gimballed, so no first hand info on that.
Hope this helps,
Tom
By the way, Merry Christmas everyone!:D

Attachments

njsail

Feb 18, 2010
Bavaria Ocean 40 CC Forked River
These pics certainly aren't as nice as Tom's. Wish I was taking that picture with the sunset. great looking boat too. I found the pics of our Questus radar mount on Valkyrie.

Merry Christmas everyone.

questus2.jpg

questus1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.