Raw water pump leaking

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
Engine is a Yanmar 2gm20f, marinized in Japan. I believe the pump is an Oberdorfer, but can't find any markings except C-388. The cover plate for the pump is stainless steel and the bolts take a socket instead of screwdriver. The water drips from the weep holes. I took the pump apart and found crevice corrosion on the ss shaft where the water seal was located. The rebuild kit does not include the pump shaft. So I'm thinking: New pump.

Sticker shock time. New pump $488!

The European marinized version of the 2gm20f and 3gm30f both use a Johnson built pump that sells for $224 and the impeller sells for half the price of the Japanese pump. So I'm considering mounting a Johnson pump on my engine. Have any of you done that? The mounting bolts on my old pump are 7mm apart which is about 2 3/4". Is that the same as the Johnson pump? Hoses can be changed to fit either pump.

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Sure looks like the same pump as on the Yanmar 3GMF/2GMF/HMF series. The thing can be rebuilt with new bearings, new impeller, and a new seal.. The shaft where the seal touches can be repaired with a little sleeve made to do that by the SKF folks.
http://www.skf.com/us/products/seal...als/wear-sleeves/skf-speedi-sleeve/index.html
Take the pieces to a good machine shop and they can help.
I don't have the relevant dimensions on my pump..
I am going to guess that someone rebuilt/modified it in the past.. a stainless cover is not normal..

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
Sure looks like the same pump as on the Yanmar 3GMF/2GMF/HMF series. The thing can be rebuilt with new bearings, new impeller, and a new seal.. The shaft where the seal touches can be repaired with a little sleeve made to do that by the SKF folks.
http://www.skf.com/us/products/seal...als/wear-sleeves/skf-speedi-sleeve/index.html
Take the pieces to a good machine shop and they can help.
I don't have the relevant dimensions on my pump..
I am going to guess that someone rebuilt/modified it in the past.. a stainless cover is not normal..
The skf sleeve should work if I can find the right size. The bearings are in good shape. Thanks Kloudie1.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Search this forum. There's an instruction I posted sometime back on rebuilding the pump. Its cheap and easy. You can get all parts like seal, bearings, C-clips from car parts stockist. Shaft you have to get from your Yanmar dealer or whoever carry Johnson parts.
I'm travelling now so not able to re-post the instructions now.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
I bought a new pump for a 2GM20f from Depco and it was a Johnson. Cost about $200. Very happy with it. Depco is great to deal with. Give them a call, tell them what you need, and get a quote.

Mar 28, 2007
- - newburyport,ma/Peaks Island, me
A welding shop can tig weld the crevice corrosion. All you need to do is clean it up, or have a machine shop do it. I had crevice corrosion on my prop shaft under the lass drop s.s. collar. had it tigged, and then cleaned up at machine shop.