Rain Water Leaks Into the Bilge

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sailorette C

Whenever it rains, especially this past October when it rained volumes, rain water fills the bilge. I have not been on board when it's raining, so I have not been able to observe where the leaks are. Any Sabre owners out there who can help? Sailorette C

T

Terry Tupper

Right as Rain

Mystic, This is likely coming down the mast, and through the boot. Pull the boot and use silicone is the easiest and cheapest fix. Did you taste it, no joke - how it is normally proven to be fresh water. If it is salt, I'm assuming you are in salt water, it's a major problem. Terry

Oct 29, 2005
Pearson 35 North East, MD
Add a little color

Another favorite site is via the Edson base. Consider putting a few drops of food coloring below the Edson base and a different color in the mast at the electrical connection. And perhaps a different color in the Head & flush into the holding tank. Dry out your bilge & look for color after the next rain. Best wishes, Rollyn Trueblood

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
How to find pesty water leaks.....

With duct tape, seal all hatches, cockpit lockers, ventilators, dorades, companionways, etc. etc., then take a shop-vac and run in 'reverse mode' to slightly pressurize the boats interior. Then mix up simple dishwashing detergent and water and paint the mix over 'all possible' leak sites: window/portlight frames, stancheon bases, any deck or cabin top mounted hardware, mast step if deck mounted, etc. etc. etc. Where the soap bubbles form ... thats a leak. No need to re-bed everything in sight, just where the soap bubbles are forming. ;-)

Feb 4, 2005
Catalina C-30 Mattituck, NY
How Old is the Boat?

How old is the boat we are discussing here? With my '78 Catalina 30 - I had rain leaks too....I assumed EVERYTHING on the deck leaked and one-by-one rebed and re-sealed all above deck fittings. Butly tape works very well and last a long time. I am almost there in regards to a 100% dry bilge after several days of heavy rain! Good luck - Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.