Rain water inside the hull

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim Baggs

I recently bought a 1980 Ranger 20 trailered sail boat. The previous owner said it sat in his yard for 8 years. There is evidence that it had over a foot of rain water inside it for an unknown time(i.e., dirty area showing a waterline inside the hull). Water got into (probably seeped in slowly) the forward floatation compartment , which I assume is foam filled, and weeped out slowly, while trailering to the launch ramp or during sailing. I drilled an 1/8" hole at the bottom of the side of the floatation chamber, which is under and around the cabin seating area. I took approximately 25 gallons of water out of this area, and it still weeps some when the boat is rocked. Previous owner said he never kept the boat in the water more than a few days at a time. My question is: could this water have damaged the hull and has it destroyed the floatation foam? I have read all the articles on gel coat blistering and osmosis, etc., but they all talk about water coming in from the outside. I have tapped around on the hull and can't hear anything that sounds like a weak point. There are some small "bubbles" in the gel coat on the bottom, less than 1/4", in some areas, not exclusive to the area under the floatation. Should I open up this area and dry it out thoroughly, replace the floatation foam, etc? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

J

Jim Willis

Ideally should be opened up

Not a good idea to have water sitting in there for extended time. Could cause the same problems as water from the outside- but with NO barier coat. Actually my boat (Gul 32) has barrier coat in the bilges too! Ideally, I would recommend opening up with a hole saw and digging out the foam, drying thoroughly, and lining with epoxy type paint. You can replace the foam either with those aeorosl cans of urethane foam, but you can buy more quantity through www. Tapplastics.com Of course if you coudl reachthe top you could also use polystyrene beads!. Check the area for leaks - fix them and then glass back over the inspection holes that you had made. A shorter (perhaps more temporary) fix is to open up (again with hole saw and flush with air from a shop vac until the foam feels dry. Then replace small amount of foam missing and seal up. I would worry about not only the harm water could do to the hull fiberglass but also what might be growing (and smelling) in that stagnant water- in that case plan A! Hope this is of some help Jim W

J

Jim Baggs

Thanks

Thanks for the info Mr. Willis. I will probably open it up this winter and look at what's in there and decide on treatment. The water has stopped coming out of my weep holes for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.