Racing with a B+R rig

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bruce Grant

I have some questions on racing a newer model hunter (290). The two big issues that I see with the B+R rig is the small headsail and trying to sail dead down wind. I know that gybing back and forth rather than DDW is the preferred manner for dealing with this type of rig (and for that matter any type of rig for increased speed), but my biggest issue is the 110% jib. I am currently using a 140% (on my H28) which works great for any low wind days and general sailing/racing. Without going to a spinnaker, is there anything that can be done, or is this just a limitation of the B+R rig. The racing I do is not real competitive, but it is nice to get across the line with the fleet, not 30 minutes after everyone is drinking at the docks. So it you do race with the B+R rig, what do you find are issues/likes/dislikes with your boat. Please let me know good and bad. Thanks for any input. Bruce. Neon Moon

A

Andy Hansom

B-R O.K.

I know the jib is small but the main is BIG. Alot of high performance boats are going to non overlapping jibs, just look at the Farr 40 it's a very fast boat. Although there is some downwind disadvantage without a spinnaker. Just sail smart and play the wind shifts and watching your VMG will win more races than being able to sail dead down wind.

J

Justin Wolfe

Surprising speed

I have to admit I was surprised, but the other day I watched a B&R 430 literally blow by an 1991 Legend 43 on a deep run in light air. I know the skipper of the 43. He knew what he was doing and was trying real hard not to let this happen. Don't forget that the B&R sports a huge mainsail to compensate for the small jib(unless you get the roller furling mast in which you have no business asking about performance as you obviously don't care). If you think about it, it is an advantage on a run. Instead of blanketing a large jib with a small main you are blanketing a small jib with a large main. More sail area in undisturbed air. Sounds good to me.

P

PJ

Use the pole

Check the polars for your boat. I would guess apparent wind in light air should be some where around 155 degrees and as the wind picks up AW should move to 175 degrees. And definately use the spinaker pole to run wing & wing. Equally important is to look over your shoulder & see that you are not in & will not be in the wind shadow of the boat behind you. As more boats turn the windward mark more & more shadows add up and extend further & further. Clean air, clean air! Watch you windex as it points to where you AW is coming from which may be different from where the boat(s) behind you are.Tactics down wind are equally as important. Good luck. PJ

Status
Not open for further replies.