Racing the Hunter 240

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Karl Murphy

I'm considering the acquisition of a Hunter 240. I like to informally race, especially match racing on inland lakes. Is anyone racing the 240 and if so, how does it compare to other trailerable boats in the 20 - 26 foot size range. Also, does anyone know the PHRF rating of the 240? Thanks Karl

C

Cliff Ruckstuhl

Tender Boat but they all are.

If your looking to race the boat you should consider a few things. Not many people are racing these boats. I raced our 23 for 6 years and did very well with the boat. I real partial to the steel keel boats and think a boat that gives more options might be better. I now race a 25.5 and for the money it is a better boat than the 240. BUT it is not that easy to trailor the 25.5. It is a GREAT boat. Do you plan to trailor allot? Also if you want to race and be competitve buy new sails. There is a world of difference between what comes with the boat and a good set of racing sails. I have seen 25.5's selling for around 6 to 7 grand on Lake Erie and you will get one great boat. Cliff

K

Karl Murphy

Racing the 240 vs. the 25.5

Thanks for the response. The boat will be trailered full time. So, the appeal of the the centerboard / water ballast boats is obvious. Thanks again.

B

Been there

Better than a water-ballasted trailerable

Consider one of the folding trimarans. They sail better, and don't have a ballast tank.

K

Karl Murphy

I agree about the foldable trimarans. There is just one little obstruction to the tri's, The current production models are all hideously expensive - upwards of 3-4 times the price of the 240. Older models are either out of production and parts sources are not in existence or the newer boats are all beat up and in need of extensive repair. Thanks for the idea.

J

Jeff Conley

Hunters are competitive

We race our Hunter 23.5 with the Lake Region Sailing Club. It has Doyle sails with a 110 jib. It is a decent racing boat - better than others of the approx siz, particularly that awful MacGregor 26. It points fairly well and has a PHRF of 240.

Status
Not open for further replies.