Questions regarding V24 vs. V224

Nov 17, 2018
MacGregor Venture 2-24 Rifle, CO
I have a 1972 Venture 224. The mast appears to be bent more than it should and the keel appears to be in worse shape than I feel comfortable with.

Having said that. I have found a 1971 Venture 24 for sale locally and had a few questions regarding it's suitability as a donor boat to supply parts (specifically the mast and keel) for my V224. Looking for any insight anyone might have regarding the subject.

According to the Bluewateryachts website on the pages for the Venture boats, it states that the sails they offer are for the V24 and not the V224. I'm guessing this is because the boom might be attached higher on the mast on the V224 to accommodate the pop-top thus requiring a slightly shorter sail? On the mast page, it states they both use the same size (length) mast.

Does anyone know with any certainty if the swing keel would be interchangeable between the two models?

Thanks in advance for any insight anyone may have to offer.

~BG~

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
The early boat keels were steel plates covered with fiberglass and faired. The later boats had solid cast iron keels, which are a better, less problematic design. The overall length and shape should be the same, although the pivot may be in a different spot ( I ran into this when I swapped a keel from an unknown donor boat into my V25). In which case you can just redrill it. The masts should be same at 28 feet, but like you surmised , the boom attachment may be different. Again, no problem, just redrill the boom attachment to where you need it. Nothing on these boats is complicated, Roger kept it simple to sail......and cheap to build. Go sailing!

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
What CUSCUS said: however I don't recall sail plan for main on 24 and 224 being different??? Good Luck...

Nov 17, 2018
MacGregor Venture 2-24 Rifle, CO
Thanks for the reply gentlemen.

I'll dig around the internet but curious if anyone does know offhand what year they switched to the cast iron keel? I have heard these are less problematic and might as well just be looking for one of these instead.

Thanks!

~BG~

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
I think 74ish is when they went to all cast iron keels. Maybe someone with an "older" boat can confirm or deny this.