Questions regarding M26c vinyl pop-top cover

Nov 15, 2020
Macgregor 26s Bay City Michigabn
My "new" Mac 1994 swing keel boat came with the cover for the pop-top. It has a line around the base of it, not sure where or how it ties down and is mounted... I have been trying to install the cover, but I'm not finding a way to really seal it out. Are there printed instructions for this cover? AND, does the cover leak rain water, it seems like it might? Does it keep out mosquitoes? I'm in chilly Michigan so I've not been able to see its limitations. Sure would appreciate any help with this, and thanks. Bert

Aug 5, 2019
Macgregor 26 S NJ
Bert, I just put mine on without any instructions when I got it, it isn't meant to give a tight seal, it's just meant to give shade and shelter which it does. I purposely went in during a heavy downpour when I had it up and it stayed very dry inside as long as you made sure the flap was over the companionway "door" panel to shed water away. I would think it would do a good job with both mosquitos and flies but it wouldn't be 100%, and usually, the ones that do get in spend the rest of their time trying to get out. I didn't use it once last season though, even when we slept out overnight a few times. I plan to spend more time on the boat this coming season and hope to try it out.
IMG_20200422_173528735_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200422_173528735_HDR.jpgIMG_20200422_124557627.jpg
IMG_20200422_124557627.jpg

Nov 15, 2020
George thanks for the reply! Yup, here in Michigan the mosquitoes can be atrocious...and one or two ear buzzers when we're trying to get some zzzzzzz kinda takes the joy out of the experience ;o)... There might be a way to seal it down a bit better. I also notice a big bug gap between the top of the companionway slide and the pop top when its down, stuffing a towel in that space will slow the buggers down. Bert

Aug 5, 2019
Macgregor 26 S NJ
Bert,
Yeah, there is a good size gap between the top of the companion way and the slide roof. In the late fall when I slept onboard I stuffed a piece of foam rubber to close the gap to keep heat in.
As far as mosquitoes, I guess you could spray around the outside of the tent enclosure as an added later of protection against them. You might be able to use something like a wide masking tape for a temporary sealing, easy to put down and easy to get off.
My boat also came with a fitted soft screen tent that goes over the poptop. I haven't even tried that on yet. If I end up going down to the Chesapeake like I hope in June I'll need that for sure down there.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I have found citronella candles to be very effective against mosquitos ... I put one in a pot and then put the pot in the galley sink. It takes about 20 min but eventually the smell drives the mosquitos out.

Nov 15, 2020
I've heard of citronella, wonder if its healthy in a small closed environment as a sailboat.... but anything to get those buggers out.... thanks!

AndyVS

Sep 4, 2015
Corsair 31 UC 179 Port Sanilac
I use this netting. It hangs from the vang connection on the boom and is large enough to cover hatch opening and the pop-top either up or down. I use electrical cable to hold it down so the wind can't create an opening for the buggers to get in. I also have small screen for forward hatch. It all folds up in small container to put away when sailing.

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
I had a M26S for years. Camping out in Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada isn't fun with bugs. A roll of snap-on buttons solved the problem. Keep the cover in place even with moderate wind.

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
I made a screen that fits up under the pop top. It's velcroed to the top and around the deck opening including the companioway. Perfect for mosquitoes.

Nov 23, 2011
Here is a link to the video I made about my bug net.
It starts at 4 min. If you go ahead a few videos back you can probably see me using it in Georgian Bay.
Marty

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2020
Thanks again. I really like both ideas, all three actually...two with screening, wondering where one gets screening? And the velcro idea as well....have to look for a quantity of that. Also the idea of installing "snap on" gizmo's to the vinyl cover is note worthy.....sure do appreciate your insights! Trying to make progress on this boat. Bert

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
We had our cover modified for multi season use. The clear plastic was removed and screen sewn in. Then two layers were attached that could be rolled up or velcro'd down. One clear plastic flap and then one privacy flap. So we could have screened open air, see-thru sealed windows. or darkened ship privacy.
I don't have any pics of the finished project and we sold her a few years ago. :(

Nov 23, 2011
I got the screen from the hardware store. (Get the smallest mesh!) Make sure you get enough for your project. IE: plan your project out on paper first and then plan the cuts within the roll size. (The window at the front of mine originally was a mistake!) I'm glad I made that mistake! I use it all the time now.
Velcro I got from a sewing supply store.
Don't use snaps to seal the screen to the deck.... It isn't good enough for mosquitos! I've woken to hundreds of mosquitos between the pop-top cover and the screen!
I have a pattern I will share when I dig out the sewing stuff again this winter.
Marty

Nov 23, 2011
I thought I had a different drawing kicking around. Here it is.
Note: The first section under "Above" is measured to fit from the pop-top down to the cabin top. I ended up cutting the screen wrong and omitted that piece... I tried to make it up by lengthening the side pieces but was short on screen. That's why I have a 9" door in the front of my screen.
I would suggest to anyone making this to at least put an opening in the middle. That space infront of the screen is great for drying towels and stuff over night. Just open the outer pop-top at the mast a bit and the breeze will do the rest.
20210117_152600.jpg

Nov 15, 2020
Thanks so much for all the info on your bug screen Marty, thanks for being such a generous contributor of info on this forum. I sent you an email with a few more questions.... you're a busy guy so I don't want to bug you about your bug screen, sorry for the paronomasia ;o)!