Question re: Sea Hawk marine paints...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2004
Catalina 310 LaSalle, MI
I have a customer up here (I work in the paint&coatings industry) who says that Sea Hawk is introducing a knock off to VC17 (they are the Sea Hawk distributer for the Great Lakes). He is willing to give me the paint if they could use the boat for promotional purposes. My question is, is anyone familiar with this paint? It is not yet listed on their website. I want to make sure it's compatable.

Jun 1, 2005
Pearson 303 Robinhood, ME
I would think...

the Sea Hawk distributer SHOULD know what and what not it will go over if he is selling the stuff. I don't think you would have much to loose. Might need a base coat? Make him sign something to the effect that... if this stuff wrecks your existing bottom paint, they are liable to get bottom back to the way it was? Just a thought.

Feb 12, 2007
Ericson 25 Oshkosh, WI
Teflon Based Paints

Sailjunkee~ Without any obtainable information, the SeaHawk rep should know if it would be compatible with the VC-17 on your boat. I'm really a creature of habit and have had great success with VC-17 and really would never even think about changing in the enviroment that I am in. I reccommended to use FW-21 from West Marine to you last week only because I know it will work over VC-17 and it was cheaper. You were contiplating recoating or finding a cheaper product. You might have found the cheapest "angle of attack", that could be the most expensive bottom job you have ever incurred. Get everything in writing and fully understand what promotional purposes really means. I don't work or sell Interlux VC-17, but I have seen this product work flawlessly for over a decade. It's hard to mess with success!

Jun 4, 2004
Catalina 310 LaSalle, MI
Rob, I know and prefer to use VC17 also, BUT...

I'm getting REAL tired of pricing on this product going UP UP UP (it now costs me well over $200.00 for 5 quarts), so, if I have a customer that says he has a similar product and is offering to give it to me (and use my hull in promotional pictures), I would do it. I was just curious if anyone else might be familiar with this or any other Sea Hawk products (especially sailors in FLA). I may simply forgoe the painting this year as my bottom looks good...haven't as yet decided.

P

Paul M

SeaHawk experience

We use the SeaHawk Cukote ablative. It was on the boat when we got it. Seems to work well. Full coat every other year. Touch up in off years.

Oct 11, 2007
Island Packet IP31 Patuxent River, MD
Sea Hawk marine paints

Sail Junkie; You don't say what Sea Hawk paint they want to put on your boat. Sea Hawk makes a lot of different paints. We have used their semihard ablative paint - Monterey, for two years. Last year we came out of the water without a barnacle on the hull except at the waterline where there were a few on slime there. Their paints have been tested by Practical Sailor and found to be very good, Suggest you call the company in Florida and talk to their chemist. He knows what is going on with their paints. He was very informative when I talked to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.