Question for Oreana123

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 30, 2012
macgregor 26s 1993 cranbrook bc
uote: Originally Posted by oreana123
Hey Katana

Your backstay is primarily used to flatten the upper area of the main. If you are not using an adjustable backstay to change the tension then I guess the backstay is not necessary. Macgregor left off this item, but a small block and tackle will do the job. If you want to be able to go back to the stock set up, then fabricate a new backstay for the adjuster out of dyneema line like that offered by the Samson company called Amsteel.

As far as squaring the main goes, you might choose this modification for at least 2 reasons. First of all, I am not convinced that the uppermost triangle of mainsail does any good. Due to the windspeed gradient from foot to head, a certain twist is induced in your main when it is set correctly, and this accommodates the changing relative wind angle as you go from foot to head of the main. The question I have is whether the twist can correctly set the uppermost triangle.

Another effect of squaring off the head of a mainsail is that it shortens the luff. In conjunction with a sliding gooseneck, the main can be raised or lowered along the mast to accommodate wind speeds: higher for light air and lower for heavier air. It can also get the boom above of the cockpit, a much safer and comfortable situation.

There is a drawback. If you shorten the main and raise it all the way up the mast, you might experience a conflict with the backstay. On my 26D, this clearance conflict can be dealt with in 2 ways, either loosen the adjustable backstay and let the sail come across, or manually grab the sail and shake it. I have a lot of roach in my main, btw, but I make it happen easily. Note that this conflict only is important on a beat, when jibing the sail does not have a problem.

My sliding gooseneck has a metal loop welded on the bottom. I use a cunningham adjuster to adjust my luff tension. I also use a pin above the mast slot to keep the mainsail from falling on the deck when I let the main halyard go. I am considering closing the slot up a bit so that the sliding gooseneck will not come out of the mast, but my slugs will. I already pin my mainsail tack to the sliding gooseneck with a quick release pin. The sliding gooseneck is from a Hobie 18.

PM me if interested

Hi again I tried to PM you but your box was full. I wish I was that popular, or maybe not. I don't quite have that many useful answers yet.

I've done a little more searching and I am even more convinced I like your idea with the sliding goose neck. I think it would solve all my head height issues and still lets me move the sail back to the factory position if I want. My problem is as I mentioned before I have little knowledge of sail making and probably only have access to somebody that does canvas work on motor boats. I think it would be fairly easy to make a larger metal triangle (I forgot the terminology for it) at the top of the sail. My question is, currently at the top of the mast the triangle is small and plastic and there is also some sort of plastic??? reinforcing sewn between the sail fabric, and I am not sure if I need battens if I make the triangle big enough. (I checked the amount of room from the back stay and there appears to be lots. My fear is if I make a larger triangle the aluminum will chaff the Dacron sail. What do you think is the best material to use to help reinforce the fabric in this area. I was also contemplating just welding a 18" mast to the existing one and putting in new wiring, but this might be harder than it sounds.

Thanks in advance for the help

Dave

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2004
Macgregor 26D Boise
OK I am definitely clearing out my box. By the way, many of the mssgs are telling me what a horses a#$ I am:D

Send me your sail. I'll shorten it and add 2 battens. Yes the sliding gooseneck helps head clearance, the adjustment pulling down on the sliding gooseneck allows fine tuning of mainsail luff without the folding over that a cunningham causes.

I have been modifying and repairing sails for years.

Sep 30, 2012
That is a really nice offer, but I think the shipping would cost more than the sail is worth and the border sometimes turns into a black hole. I suppose I could ship it from Montana though. If it was a little crappier I would buy a new one. I want to up date my electrical, buy a Bimini and other misc odds so I am hoping the sail lasts a bit longer, but in the mean time I would like to fix it enough so I can use it with the pop top and Bimini. I just thought if I clamped a new headboard on without the extra backing ...(.heavy dacron? light plastic?) behind it, the sail will start to tear at the bottom of the headboard.

Thanks Dave

Jun 5, 2004
Macgregor 26D Boise
You will need a new headboard for this mod, or re-use the old one. The sail will flop over on the upper leach if it is not supported by at least one batten. I sewed onwe across the new head and one diagonally after I found that the first wasn't sufficient. You won't have to look too hard to find pics of other sailboats with square heads and a diag batten.

Aug 28, 2009
MacGregor 26D BC
OK I am definitely clearing out my box. By the way, many of the mssgs are telling me what a horses a#$ I am:D .

O,123-4? you are vindicated and ahead of your time, trying two head sails. See attached info. Mac has a new boat coming out 24' with two head sails. Makes sense for the bath tub X and M's
I enjoy your comments and advise. My pop top gas struts are great for this soloing geriatric sailor. Thanks.

Haven't you noticed how many aircraft innovations are incorporated into lower vertebrae machinery

http://www.macgregorsailors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21057&start=30

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
Read a bit further down the page....
Well, at least SOME of you figured out that my post was utter horsesh*t! Man, a few of you really bit down hard!

kmclemore wrote:So, there you have it. From the horses' mouth. Or something.
I just figured I'd have some fun with you guys.... after all, everyone is so busy speculating!

Catigale wrote:Will sunbeam Alpine motors be an option, I wonder?
Now that you mention it... here's the manual for the new Mac motor....

Sep 30, 2012
You will need a new headboard for this mod, or re-use the old one. The sail will flop over on the upper leach if it is not supported by at least one batten. I sewed onwe across the new head and one diagonally after I found that the first wasn't sufficient. You won't have to look too hard to find pics of other sailboats with square heads and a diag batten.
My plan is to make a new head board out of aluminum wide enough at the top to eliminate one batten and then copy your diagonal batten, but I was hoping you could tell me what the material I currently have sandwiched in the sail under my current headboard, before I cut it out. It is some sort of reinforcement material....it seems like a good idea. I was just wondering if it was common in all sails and where I might get it. I looked at sail right, but I didn't really see anything that it might be, unless really heavy Dacron feels like a light piece of plastic. Its triangular and about three times as big as the current headboard

Sep 30, 2012
Here is a great idea to keep the back stay back away from the sail. A back stay flicker. I guess it gets it out of the way while still letting you apply tension.
http://www.rbsbattens.com/new-powdercoated-epoxy-backstay-flickers/
Looks good too.
Thanks but I don't think Ill have a problem with my back stay it just isn't that floppy...I hope. After looking my chicken head seams to be quite a bit longer than most of the other pictures of masts I've seen. I really should set it up to be sure, but the boat is tucked into my garage right now and the door is only 9' wide so it is a bit of a squeeze.

Thanks Dave

Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
finding41 said:
Read a bit further down the page....
Well, at least SOME of you figured out that my post was utter horsesh*t! Man, a few of you really bit down hard!
kmclemore wrote:So, there you have it. From the horses' mouth. Or something.

I just figured I'd have some fun with you guys.... after all, everyone is so busy speculating!
Wait, my head is spinning. Finding41, you, Sum & Bill are among the nicest, most helpful guys on this forum. I owe you guys for a lot of good advice. Are you telling me your username on the other forum is the Admin, Kmclemore?!?! But you're a kind person & Kmclemore is so tough the way he enforces rules, wether they make sense or not.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2004
Macgregor 26D Boise
O,123-4? you are vindicated and ahead of your time, trying two head sails. See attached info. Mac has a new boat coming out 24' with two head sails. Makes sense for the bath tub X and M's
I enjoy your comments and advise. My pop top gas struts are great for this soloing geriatric sailor. Thanks.

Haven't you noticed how many aircraft innovations are incorporated into lower vertebrae machinery

http://www.macgregorsailors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21057&start=30
I have been remiss in reporting further developments in my double headsail rig. There are some extra difficulties involved in this mod. The basic concept is to add headsail area in lighter winds by incorporating a sprite that is easily removable. The sprite must be able to clear my tow vehicle (and camper shell).

After sailing with a humongous forward sail, and noting the resultant ineffectivity of the middle sail, I came to the conclusion that without modifying the headsails, that it would be best to just use the foremost sail alone. At best in this 3 sail arrangement, the inner 100% sail just directed air, creating no lift.

Not being one to leave well enough alone, I decided to change everything I'd learned by cutting the humongous genoa to only fill in the foretriangle. The foretriangle with this set up goes to the masthead. The foremost stay goes from the masthead to the end of the sprite. This new sail is a long triangle that has the foot cut at a steep angle (Yankee cut) so that the clew of the forward sail is about 10 feet off the deck and sheeted aft to the aft cleats where I turn the sheet to run forward and into the cockpit. Still with me?

The resultant double overlapping headsails direct lots of air onto the main. The telltails on the main are almost always flying straight out (tell tales located on the leach of mainsail at 4 batten pockets). Once again, I have to say that this setup is only used in winds below 10 knots. In higher winds I am sure the boat would lay over with this much sail up high. Even in light winds and with the adjustable backstay as tight as I dare, the foremost stay is not that tight, and the luff sail sag would really get extreme as the wind picks up.

Even though I have an anchor platform to stand on, it requires care to lean over and bend on the foremost sail. I am definitely compressing the mast more than the stock rig, but no damage is apparent. I have all brand new rigging this summer, standing rigging strength is not something I worry about. I have turnbuckles on the sidestays now to quickly straighten the mast if necessary.

I still single hand this boat. I believe that the Yankee cut sail helps direct wind onto the main and it increases the lift developed in light air. I have a 25 gallon water tank in the vee berth area that I fill for extra ballast, or I quickly empty the tank for really light air.

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
Mac if you go to any sailing forum or any place on the web I am finding41. Everywhere.
I could see the thread going sideways with all the talk of a new MacGregor boat in the works. So what I did was cut and paste the reply from the admin guy with the mustachio from the macgregorsailors site.
If you read the whole thread about "there at it again...." you will find it isn't very informative. Mostly bad puns. Really...

Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
finding41 said:
Mac if you go to any sailing forum or any place on the web I am finding41. Everywhere.
I could see the thread going sideways with all the talk of a new MacGregor boat in the works. So what I did was cut and paste the reply from the admin guy with the mustachio from the macgregorsailors site.
If you read the whole thread about "there at it again...." you will find it isn't very informative. Mostly bad puns. Really...
Oh got it :)
I'm glad you're not that Admin dude! LOL!

Aug 28, 2009
MacGregor 26D BC
A humorous figment of wishful thinking for the bath tub Mac's

Thanks for the update of the double head sail.

Status
Not open for further replies.