PYI Max prop on Hunter 38

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Contemplating replacing the fixed blade prop on our 2008 38 to a max prop.

Can't get to the boat o check right now, but wondering if anyone knows the what prop size is on the 38?

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
The prop mfg should know what prop to use. Contact them for the specs/pricing.

Oct 18, 2010
Hunter 466 Mystic
PYI measures by degrees rather than inches of pitch. Call them with your boat model, engine HP, and gear reduction ratio (important) and they will look it up.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Yep talked to them today.
They show it as a 17 inch prop, not 18 so I guess a trip to the boat is going to be necessary to confirm the size before I try to order.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Confirmed that the prop on the boat is a 17 RH 11 so it is a 17 inch prop, not 18 inch.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Maxprop should arrive tomorrow. Can't wait to install it and see how it operates. Launch day is a month away

Oct 18, 2010
Hunter 466 Mystic
just be careful installing it. the directions are good so just follow them closely and get the pitch correct. Good luck.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Got a chance to try out the new Maxprop this weekend.
Backs like a dream. Performance is terrific. No more whirling when we sail.

Jul 1, 2009
Hunter 38 Gore Bay
do you still like your Maxprop?

just wondering if you picked the 4 blade maxprop - or the 3 blade?
Would you mind sharing the model and if you still happy?

We are also considering making the investment and have a Hunter 38 2010

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Absolutely love the way it performs.
When sailing it feathers fast so we don't have to listen to the shaft whirl all the time.
Better forward thrust and in reverse there is much less prop walk. Stopping is right now !

I got the 3 blade classic instead of the 4 blade. The four would have been nice but it was pushing over $5,000 and I just couldn't see that. As it was the 3 blade was $3,200.

It's the 17 inch right hand prop.
Best way is to get the numbers that are cast in to the prop to make sure you have the right diameter and direction although the person at PYI Max Prop knew exactly the size when I gave him the boat make, model and year. I just confirmed with the prop data.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
By the way, I had the yard install it. I know everyone says you can do it yourself but I learned from others that it's a 4 handed job to get all the pieces together.
The mechanic here has done many of them, told me it would take about a hour, and required 3 to 4 hands. For that, I just had them do it .

Status
Not open for further replies.