PVC Roller Furler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 5, 2008
Macgregor Venture 22 Lake Kerr
Just a quick note. I am about to finish up my home made roller furling. When I get done, I will take some pictures and post.

I had made one similar to the recent post, and it worked pretty good. I was not able to get the tension on the luff I wanted, and I did not like the fact that I could not take the sail off if I wanted.

I am on plan "C" now, Plan "A" never got off the drawing board and plan "B" broke before I could get it on . . . I knew it would not work before I even tried. The new version is VERY strong, yet flexible and will have about a 3:1 advantage on the furler sheet. You will be able to take the sail off and tighten luff tension even with it partially reefed. It is self contained in the fact that the jib sheet resides on the furling and rolls with it.

Total cost (not counting pan "A" and "B" will only be about $60 and that includes the hardware . . but not the jib sheet.

Back soon with pictures,

Jerry

Blake

Apr 20, 2008
Macgregor 26S Red Lodge
Good Morning Jerry,
Sounds like an interesting project, I am looking forward to the photo's.

Apr 25, 2005
Macgregor Venture 25 My Backyard
Frank.... How did you get the metal to bond with the plastic? I would be willing to make mine look like a real furler and use aluminum given the opportunity. I added the slip fix to the top of m ine this past weekend, but I still can't set up the boat due to rain...... Everytime I get ready to do it, it starts raining up here. I can't catch a break.

I have a bow hatch mod to do too and I can't get to it either. I need to pull mine off and cut a hole and attach the lexi to it, but I don't want a 2 foot hole in my boat to catch water while I wait for the silicon to set up......

Mine was less than $30 and works great thanks to the inspiration of gregg9020.
Here is a link to that thread.

http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=103997&page=3

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
It is just a slip fit over the 1.5''-3/4'' reducer. I turned it on the lathe. I roughly cut the outside diameter of the disk with a sawzall and used outside chucks to hold it in the lathe. After cutting center to fit I switched to inside jaws and cut the outside of the disk. It doesn't have to be a tight fit.
I still don't understand what you are doing with the slip fit fitting.
BTW I posted a couple of weeks ago about a butyl sealer from the roofing dept at Home Depot. Comes in a tube dries clear and adheres well . It maintains a nice resiliency that would work well on your hatch.
I haven't been able to get out either boat is still locked up in MDR compound until mast up redo is finished. Called Beaches and Harbors to see how project was going and they said that because of all the rain we had it would be delayed an additional 3 weeks to March 30th. If that weren't enough they are still charging rent.

Apr 25, 2005
Frank .... Call me I sent you a PM you have my number, I want to pick your brain and talk about the furler.

Gregg

Aug 15, 2010
MacGregor 22 Hilo
OH YEAH! This project is just what I need!

My boat didn't come with a rolling jib; I'd like to have one but want to keep everything on a shoestring budget. All info, specs, and photos showing how to make a low-buck roller furling would be greatly appreciated!

VBR,

Pat

Apr 25, 2005
Check a thread called Hank or Furl.

I posted a ton of info on how to build one. I can help whenever needed. I think I am into it for less than 30 buck for the parts.

OH YEAH! This project is just what I need!

My boat didn't come with a rolling jib; I'd like to have one but want to keep everything on a shoestring budget. All info, specs, and photos showing how to make a low-buck roller furling would be greatly appreciated!

VBR,

Pat

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Sorry

I'm just posting so I can click the button that will e-mail me when this post is updated. Thanks to all of you for putting your work up here. I've tried this once before but my engineering did not hold up.

r

Jun 8, 2004
Macgregor 21 Clinton, NJ
The smaller Chrysler boats have a roller furling system made of pvc around an aluminum tube - the aluminum remains stationary and the pvc spins around it. The drum is the main construction challenge, i'd think. If you get a look at one of these you may have further ideas(except for the extended forestay running back thru the cabin) for the simplicity of it's design. I can't say for sure if it would be strong enough for a larger boat. I'll find out how well it actually works, as I'm preparing to switch out my V21 to the chrysler Mutineer 15 at my home lake for the remaining few weeks of the season.

Aug 15, 2010
MacGregor 22 Hilo
For those who may not know: Wikipedia has a page on small boat roller furling, with a link to a page that shows how to make one of these PVC furlers.

http://www.rlyachts.net/tips-furler.asp

I really like this idea; plan to try it myself; and look forward to more pics and info from those of you who have already been there / done that. :dance:

VBR,

Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.