Putting gas struts for poptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 25, 2005
Macgregor Venture 25 My Backyard
I am getting ready to put some struts on the poptop. Where should I put them??? I know where, but what is the best location in relation to the Aluminmum supports. I am thinking parralell (SP) to the top and the bottom. I am looking for measurements from the existing mounts. Thanks to all!!! By the way...... I have to do this on three boats, so the best place is critical. Gregg

Timo42

Mar 26, 2007
Venture 22 Marina del Rey
Just do yours last ;D

I can measure mine tomorrow, the wind Charley Cobra sent us is too cold to go out in, must be 50 degrees, you still want that rudder? My mother asked about it. Tim

Apr 25, 2005
We do..... I have to get Jack there and pick

it up......... He still wants it. On another note.......50 degrees????? toooo cold????? We are in the high 30's and low 40's in the morning, and that is not too cold. 50 is nothing. I will talk to Jack tomorrow, and see when he wants to get it. But I still need the strut pic. I have three boats to install them on. Thanks, Gregg

Timo42

Mar 26, 2007
Sorry I didn't get the pics Sun,

some @#$%^ broke into my truck Sat night, got my camera, laptop and ham radio *cry maybe tomorrow, the big thing is to make sure the strut holds the top as high as it will go so you have to push it forward to get it down instead of just pushing it down, the struts don't interfere with the supports as you move it, and the top closes fully without bottoming out the strut. Tim

Jan 22, 2008
Macgregor 26D Bella Vista, AR
Pop top supportTim;

Tim; Very helpful, good pictures. Definetly something I want to do. Just curious: Why 90 lb struts? Just seems little high?? Thanks, David

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Good job Timo.

Thinking about putting info into a Pfd format so that it can be uploaded to the boat information section. The pictures disappear after the post is archived. How's the hooping looking for Wed night? I have to run to Tehachappi today and pick my dad up for a medical appointment tomorrow. Weather looks like it has settled down. Frank

Timo42

Mar 26, 2007
That top is heavy

I tried 45 lb struts that someone else suggested, that would barely hold the top up, this firmly supports the top when it is up but lets it lay flat without tiedowns when it is down, my wife can put the top up or down. Tim

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Timo42 posted your picts and description to Mac25 improvements.

Your work has been sent into the internet ether in perpetuity. Frank

Vitger

Mar 13, 2008
Hunter 320 Kelowna
Would this fit a 1995 Mac 26C as well?

I guess it would but would like to avoid drilling holes in unecessary places... Thanks again!

Apr 25, 2005
I say Yes

to both of your questions. Yes to two struts so it goes up level, and doesn't warp. And Yes to putting on a 26. Just do a mock install and open your poptop and open the struts and mark a point, then close the top and the strut, and mark the other points. Good luck

Timo42

Mar 26, 2007
Yes I have 2 struts

and the big thing is making sure nothing binds when down, you can see the extra hole in the rear on the first picture :eek: Tim Thanks Frank, I am immortal now

Vitger

Mar 13, 2008
Hunter 320 Kelowna
Thanks Greg and Timo!

Now I am only waiting for the snow to go away once and for all so I can get to my baby and start working on her.

Jun 17, 2007
MacGregor Mac26S Victoria Tx
Struts

Can someone supply a link to those struts? I tried West Marine but that part number came up invalid.

Apr 25, 2005
Let me look them up.

I can do it in the morning. I have a faster connection at work........

Apr 2, 2008
Macgregor 22 MDR
just what I did

I put a set on my 22 which I purchased at auto zone. I simply replaced the bolts that the aluminum pop top support struts pivot on with a slightly longer one so that I could clear the diameter of the gas cllinder and secured the other end about halfway up the other strut. I drilled a hole in the aluminum for that end. it works great

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Venture Rick I'm having trouble visualizing what you did.

Do you have pictures? Are you in Mast-up storage at MDR? If so may I take a peek into your cabin? Frank

Timo42

Mar 26, 2007
Now I have to go back

and check the length, they may be 20" at least thats the longest one listed now, this is the page in the w/m catalog, has the mounting brackets too. Brackets I used are the 8509085 and the 8509051. Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.