Put the boat to bed for the winter

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
Pulled the boat up to the house after work, killed about 20 wasps that were in one of the through hulls and the mast crutch, opened the DampRid, set up the PVC frame in the cockpit, and with the Admiral's help, put the tarp on. Probably should have replaced it but we'll see if it survives another winter. Once it was tied to the trailer we towed it back down to the lock up for the winter. :cry:

One week of sailing, glorious as it was, is NOT enough! :twisted:

Jul 22, 2013
Catalina Capri 22 Mk II Salem Harbor
Ahoy Capt Chris,
Tis a sad day indeed, putting away a toy so fun filled as a sailboat. I'm scheduled for haul out on 10/10 and am already feeling the sadness of season's end.
OTOH, today I'm off for a four beer sail out and around salem sound's barrier islands (misery, bakers and cat). Truly, late summer/early fall sailing is bitter sweet (better switch those adjectives to sweet bitter as the mid 70s temp, little traffic/wakes, and autumn leaves makes for sweet sailing yet the sweetness is made tart with the season's imminent end).
Here's to next year, may the lakes be deep and the sea continue to roll.
Wooster

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
Wooster, csinnett;

Where are you guys located ? I'm on the Hudson River about 90 miles north of NYC.

I'll take my boat out some time after Columbus Day. Often one last sail with the Admiral and friends on Columbus day to a restaurant 5 miles down the river for burgers. ( also honor an Italian sailor, who got lost and didn't know where ended up :) )

We have or last race on October 13 -- a PHRF pursuit race. Gets very interesting as the boats start to converge around the last mark, before heading to the finish line.

Winter projects lined up. A traveler*, and a solar charger for my battery. Any recommendations on chargers or travelers? * My boat has NO traveler.

Hershey

Attachments

Kunzig

Jul 3, 2013
Guys - if we get an eastern hurricane, it is my fault.

I'm hoping to leave mine in until Dec. - My Navy Son has never seen this boat yet - hoping for a good day after thanksgiving to take him out in her.
If I may:

Attachments

May 23, 2007
Hersh, I'm pretty happy with my harken traveler and sunsaver charge controller. Of course I've only had the charge controller for one season so I can't speak to longevity. :)

Rob, that plane says Marines not Navy. :D You might be able to keep your boat in the water til December. No way I can do that at the lake. I suppose I could if I could afford a slip at the coast, though.

Kunzig

Jul 3, 2013
Chris,
How long did it take for your lake to fill enough? May I ask what you pay for your dock/season? Six years ago here in Lewes you couldn't get a dock unless someone died - for real. This season I got the price down $300 to $2,600. includes a boat house with shower and bathroom, water and electric at the slip. It is somewhat private with only 7 slips.

On the plane - that is what we first said as he flew in over us. But directly on the other side is "Navy" slightly bigger.
We are trying to enjoy these times, if he ends up in F18's, it will be a lot harder when you know he could be in harms way... for six to 8 months at a clip.

May 23, 2007
Kunzig said:
Chris,
How long did it take for your lake to fill enough? May I ask what you pay for your dock/season? Six years ago here in Lewes you couldn't get a dock unless someone died - for real. This season I got the price down $300 to $2,600. includes a boat house with shower and bathroom, water and electric at the slip. It is somewhat private with only 7 slips.
They usually close the gates on the Dam on February 1st and, presuming it rains like normal, we can launch mid-April. This year we didn't get enough rain in March and the lake never filled to the point that I could launch. Even if I did there would only have been 6 inches under the keel in my slip.

The season runs me about $550 from April through Sept 30th. This is in a county marina with restroom and pay showers. No water or power at the dock but there is a porta-potty dump by the restroom and a pump out at the transient dock. There's also a pretty nice campground with water/power hookups and a day use area at the park.

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
csinnette;

Where are you talking about; State, City, lake, dam ?

On the Hudson, about 90 miles due north of NYC, marinas with docks cost about $50/ft. April till October.
Over the past 15 years quite a few new marinas opened, creating some competition and keeping prices level.

The closer one gets to NYC the higher the prices go.

The yacht club I belong to costs ~~ $500+/year for membership, and a mooring ~~ $11/ft. I am not 100% sure of the cost as a life * member, my dues are $25/year. ( * 25+ years of membership) Work hours are on a sliding scale based on seniority, a new member is expected to put in about 40 hrs/season. Life member -- zero. I still put in around 30/40 hrs a season.

What are you doing up at 2:30 AM :)

Hershey

May 23, 2007
Hersh,

State = Oregon
Fern Ridge Reservoir near Eugene. Built for flood control & irrigation as a WPA project, I think. It's the only reservoir in the Willamette Basin that doesn't get snow melt runoff in the spring so totally dependent on rain. Earth type dam with a smallish set of gates at the west end. Max depth is about 26 feet at the dam, getting shallower as you head south down the 3 fingers of the lake. Flood gates close on Feb 1, open on Oct 1.

There are 2 county owned marinas at opposite ends of the dam. Richardson park, where we keep Verboten is the better protected one as we're in a bay behind a hill. Orchard Point, on the other side of the dam is pretty much open to the prevailing winds and I've seen some pretty big chop blow through when the wind was from the south.

There are a couple other private clubs/marinas on the lake. Eugene Yacht Club is next to Richardson but at the mouth of the bay. Not quite as protected but their ramp goes much further out so you can launch/retrieve earlier/later. Dues are more than I want to pay, plus moorage at whatever a year. A couple years ago their docks got trashed by a storm which made me even less interested in parking the boat there.

Triton Yacht Club is the $60/year club we belong to. Until this year we didn't have a clubhouse or anything. One of the members has apparently provided a building a few miles from the lake. Not sure what that's going to mean, except I doubt we'll be getting the great food we had when we met at the bar. :D

Big storm blowing through this weekend. Wind is blowing like crazy. I'd take the landsailor out but my daughter has the truck. :(

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
The week of October 14 is end of the season for me.

This Friday 10/4/2013 the "Big wind " from California is coming ... My "big/older" brother (75) :)

Wants to go for a ride on my boat ... He is a power junkie -- 180 HP Personal Watercraft he rides in the Pacific by L.A.
I sure hope I get some decent wind, other wise he will be sorely disappointed.

Final suicide race on October 13. A pursuit PHRF where the handicaps are figured out in advance. Last year the boats started converging around the last mark before the finish line ... got a little crazy, to say the least. All fleets sail as one ... J-92's to Catalina 22's.

Hershey

May 23, 2007
The pursuit race sounds like fun. Hope you get a good blow for your brother. :D

Aug 27, 2013
Man I know what you guys mean. Our last series race on our little ol' mudhole here in Grapevine TX is Nov. 9th and our next series race doesn't start until Jan 25th next year for gawdsakes! Hardly gives us time to work on our boats. :mrgreen:

Jul 22, 2013
Catalina Capri 22 Mk II Salem Harbor
SOS !
Today I took down the jib, fired up the outboard and motored 6 miles thru two bridges up the Danvers river to the boat yard where my capri was pulled out of the water and put on the pavement. Seven months of high and dry. Oh the humanity !
Regretful Wooster

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
csinnett said:
The pursuit race sounds like fun. Hope you get a good blow for your brother. :D
The wind had been dead the whole week. Went down and brought my boat to the dock. ( My boat is kept on a mooring)
I looked up the river and saw a definite change in the surface on the water ... wind was coming ! Picked up to around 15 and steady. Put the 110 on, and my brother , his friend and I had a great sail. Temperature was perfect. ~~ 75F.

Had a great day.

Well one last race this Sunbday, and a Pinacolata party afterwards. We call it the Pinacolata regatta :)

Hershey

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Chris said:
Man I know what you guys mean. Our last series race on our little ol' mudhole here in Grapevine TX is Nov. 9th and our next series race doesn't start until Jan 25th next year for gawdsakes! Hardly gives us time to work on our boats. :mrgreen:
I find your sense of humor very ......... SICK :)

Jul 18, 2013
Yea Chris,

The Rio Grande Yacht Club's Fall Series starts this weekend and runs through December 14th. Spring series starts mid-February.
That's all on Elephant Butte Reservoir in Southern New Mexico, which has pretty big "tidal range" every year ... ;)

On a good year we can snowbird to 7000' in northern NM to keep cool for the summer.
Still its 3-hours one way from home to these big lakes, and the docks up north were on the hard all year due to "low tide", so every area has it's pluses and minuses, eh?

If you guys from snowy up-state New York sailed all year long you wouldn't have time for hockey.

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
My boat is finally out... all the preparations helped... haulout was a NON-event (the way I like it)...
A-frame to mast support, lowering... really a very NON-event... done myself.

Here is the mast down

mast secure

This did not work... I bent my dolly wheels shortly after this...

But the bow eye, and winch, along with the bow roller bow/support... pulled the boat forward and rolled it up NICELY so that it aligned right up with the winch...

Here she she going back into her spot at home

Here she is HOME and in her spot... bottom was really pretty clean... VC17m, has some splotchy spots, but several layers/coats just shows the color below it, so I'm good with that... I'll buy another quart or 2 and re-apply... Still enough room to park the truck in the barn.

This has been the best sailing season I've ever had. We got lots of wind all season, there were some dull days for sure, but winds were generally favorable. Of course our placements this year were great, and coming home with 2nd overall, and a bunch of individual 1sts for the year were pretty cool too.

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Well, racing this year has not been too successful. But then again I only raced my boat a few times. ( I mainly crew on an Ensign as they have a one design fleet here.)

today I had my boat lifted out with a travel lift and put on a trailer. Easy to power wash it while it is hanging in slings.
Also worked with some friends pulling their boats out. J-24, Ranger 22, O'day 23. Sad time of the year.

Saturday, between pulling other boats out, I will take my mast down and prepare for towing 10 miles to my back yard. Speaking about winter storage. I saw some place advertising indoor storage for $25/ft. Ouch! this is in the Hudson Valley area.

Have my winter projects lined up. 1) Install traveler. Just ordered a Harken (HAR2734) setup based on their CB car with fixed sheaves and adjustable cam arms and HIGH BAR TRACK. ( HAR272512M ) 2) replace the stupid velcro on the leading edge of my mainsail cover with a zipper. Velcro is good stuff, but not for this application. 3) Possibly get a solar trickle charger.

RETIRE NEXT MAY ! 66 years young.

Hershey

PS: Schnool, what kind of boats are in your fleet and what boat got first place? 3rd. 4th.

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
S2 7.9
Hunter 25.5
Capri 25
J-24
J-22
Oday 26 (sailed by one of our ASA instructors)
Catalina 22 (setup for OD racing)
Catalina 25 (sailed by one of our most successful racers, been racing handicapped for 15+ years on that boat).
B25
J/24
S2 7.9
S2 7.9

http://www.shnool.com/PSC2013Race8Overall.htm

Kunzig

Jul 3, 2013
Shnool - nice photos - great tease for someone out there! Also you boat is fortunate to have such a fine cover over its head/deck.