Purchasing an O'Day 28 1982

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob Jasensky

My offer was accepted on a 1982 28, I'm going to have a survey done prior to the deal being final. But I have a few concerns: It has a 15hp OMC motor are these obsolete and hard to get parts for like the old Atomic 4's? Is a 15hp underpowered for a boat this size? Is the boat considered stable? I sail with my wife and heeling is not one of her favorite things. The main seems a bit small but it has a 150 genoa how is it's light performance? We will be only doing day sails and some coastal cruising is it a comfortable boat to sleep on? If there are any other things I should be aware of I would appreciate any input. Thanks Bob Jasensky

B

Ben McAndrew

Good Boat

Bob: By all Means: The O'Day 28 is a good, stable boat that is not as succeptable it heeling in normal conditions. However,we rented a boat with the OMC saildrive u speak of and it is terribly lous, stalls allot, slips out of gear because of vibration, and u have to mix oil withe the fuel. I am 14 and my dad owned an O'Day 28 for 14 years. (he sold it 1 year ago, u can see a pic of her on the photo forum)This boat had a surpisingly quiet, fuel-efficient 10 horse deisel, which is good for a boat that size considering it is just the auxullary engine. O'Day made a good solid boat. (except for the poor excuse they used for an auxillary engine) My suggestion to u is to look for a slightly newer O'Day 28 with the reliable universal 10 horse deisel. Plus, the newer ones have a better head, cabin layout, (the table is riche in the middle of the walkway) a better position for the traveler (it is on top of the cabin and not in the cockpit) and a better forward hatch. There are lots of O'Day 28's out there, so if u can find a better one, go for it!!!!! I would never get another sailboat but an O'Day!!!!!!!!! Good luck! -See u on the water, Ben McAndrew P.S: I am quite knowledgeable on sailing, so if u have any other questions, please feel free to E-mail me to Lyman57@hotmail.com SEE YA SAILIN'!!

J

John Gunn

GREAT 28

Bought a 28 this year. Very stable. Went from a 16ft daysailer to my O'DAY. A great "WIFE BOAT". Takes 8ft rollers with ease. The 15 hp saildrive is great. speed when you need it. Great in marinas. Turns on a dime -location of prop. Don't go for the diesel stuff. Can maintain 6-7 Kn no problem. Sail it flat for max enjoyment of your co-admiral. Did BLOCK ISLAND no sweat. roomy(more than some 30'). GREAT BOAT!!!! SAIL SAIL SAIL

J

John Gunn

GREAT 28

Bought a 28(1980) this year. Very stable. Went from a 16ft daysailer to the 28 A great "WIFE BOAT". Takes 8ft rollers with ease. The 15 hp saildrive is great. speed when you need it. Great in marinas. Turns on a dime -location of prop. Don't go for the diesel stuff. Can maintain 6-7 Kn no problem. Sail it flat for max enjoyment of your co-admiral. Did BLOCK ISLAND no sweat. roomy(more than some 30'). GREAT BOAT!!!! SAIL SAIL SAIL

Status
Not open for further replies.