Pulling down the Mast on 27ps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 10, 2011
Lancer 27PS 27 Powersailer Ohio - Lake Erie
I have a Lancer Yacht 27 powersailor and I need to thread my main halyard back into the mast. To do so, I'm going to pull the mast down. I'm a new boat owner and I've never done this before.

If anyone has any advice that might help me save some time, trouble, or avoid disaster I am all ears.

Thanks in advance.
Todd

Sep 27, 2010
Lancer 28 Ventura, CA
My lancer 28 is on a trailer, I take the mast up/down each time I sail. I made an A-frame from two 10 ft 2x4s with a bolt at the top. A large shackle over the bolt (top of A-frame) and two smaller shackles on the large one. One small shackle to the winch on the trailer ( I have used a come-a-long also)and the other to the head stay. The feet of the A-frame rest on the Chain Plates and tow rail. Take off the boom. I lower the mast to the stern. I have a 1x6 with a roller I attach to the stern pulpit. With the mast down and resting on the roller, I take the bolt out of the mast step , disconnect the A-frame and lift the mast out of the step . I carry the base of the mast to the bow pulpit. The only rigging I need to disconnect is the head stay at the bow plate. I use rubber cords to secure the mast. I hope this helps.

May 29, 2009
Lancer 27ps Suisun City
mast lowering

You might want to check out your mast before lowering, there is a radius cut on the mast on the forward or aft side of the mast, that is the direction you want to lower it. I tried to raise my mast using the Lancer 28 manual and discovered that it won't work that way, at least it didn't for me. Just my opinion, but my mast is designed to lower aft, with or without a gin pole. I know that the companionway hatch cover complicates things but the spreaders and shrouds are swept aft, shouldn't be necessary to do more than loosen the shrouds and stays and lower it using the anchor windlass. Attaching guys as in the 28 manual is fine, but the measurement is a little off, the guys should be attached in line with the tabernacle bolt and should be minded by someone during lowereing, if they tighten up too tight, they can bend your toe rail. My experience raising using the 28 manual was a disaster although of my own making. The best advice I can give you is to get help from a rigger the first time you do it, make a checklist with every step listed, GET HELP, whoever is in charge needs to watch everything, not work the winch, not steady the mast, not hold a guy line. Make sure the weather is right for the operation, no wind. It's might be helpful to fashion a mast crutch for the cockpit that will allow you to rest the mast before it comes down on the hatch cover. there's a guy out there named Ernest Gagny that sometimes watches this forum, Brian might have contact info on him, the man used to sell Lancers, and owns a gorgeous 27ps, I'd guess he might have better info than I do. Heres my personal disclaimer to go along with all the half baked advice, I've never lowered my mast, nor have I succesfully raised it, I'm still finishing my double spreader replacement as time/money permits. All this aside, Good luck, hope your project goes smooth as silk.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.