Pulling C22 with trailer extension

Aug 16, 2019
Catalina 22 Canyon Lake, TX
HI all,
I own a 1989 C22 on Canyon Lake, TX. I keep it at a yacht club on a trailer where I am able to keep the mast up. The storage spot is a couple hundred yards away from the ramp. From the storage spot to the ramp it is flat and straight then gets a little windy and downhill.
For the last three years, I have always pulled the boat from the storage spot to the ramp and launched it using the trailer extension. And vice versa on pulling it in. I put chains on the extension for safety. It is just so much easier not dealing with the chokes and all that. A little tougher to back into storage spot but doable.
My question is does anyone see an issue with this? Some guys at the club have been given me crap about it, saying I should not pull it using the extension the whole time. Seems the choking and pushing/puling of the extension is a huge safety issue and can be more dangerous. Am I missing something?
thanks,
Paul

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
What's the engineering of the extension and what does it increase your tongue weight too? How long of a drive? I used a extension (stinger) on my reciever to tow my boat due to my camper. I used thick walled square stock and triangulated it with chain/turn buckles. Lateral force and tongue weight is the issue.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
It sounds like some folks at LCYC see an issue with it. For that reason alone I would suggest that you not do it. I was a member of LCYC so I know the terrain. It's not that far but it is a tight turn around parked cars. That is harder to negotiate with an extension.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
most here only extend tongue when they get to the ramp, chock the wheels while doing so, no big issue. Pin thru tongue and trailer at both ends holds fine...I wouldn't be towing a boat around with tongue extended past ramp, anywhere...

Aug 16, 2019
Catalina 22 Canyon Lake, TX
I do not have any pics of it, but here it is almost exactly. This is not my boat or trailer. When you say tongue weight, you mean on the truck? Its very light on the truck, I have a F150 4x4.
I understand the terrain at LCYC is tough, but I have done it probably 30 times. My real question is can the extension hold the boat during this?

Attachments

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Not what I was envisioning. If it’s a issue, make a extension that replaces the hitch on your vehicle and slides into the receiver. Essentially a receiver extension.

Can it hold it? Well that depends on the extensions wall thickness . Quick answer is yes, it’s done it 30 times! The failure point is going to be the chains not properly secured, the extension tube not taking the flex from the tongue weight and leverage effect from the extension or the receiver from the same thing. You can eliminate the chain issue by fabricating a bracket system (and it won’t look ghetto). You can eliminate the extension by confirming or replacing with a thick walled stock or trussing it. The receiver probably is the least of the worries and can probably be eliminated by taking it easy.

Attachments

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
I do not have any pics of it, but here it is almost exactly. This is not my boat or trailer. When you say tongue weight, you mean on the truck? Its very light on the truck, I have a F150 4x4.
I understand the terrain at LCYC is tough, but I have done it probably 30 times. My real question is can the extension hold the boat during this?
Ok so that's a first. I have never had someone post a picture of my boat before! So here's the risk/ reward. My extension is thick walled and I commonly tow 100+ yards on it with no issues every time I launch. Trouble is you have to allow more room for turns and be gentle on the breaks or you can bend the extension (no matter how thick walled it is). In my opinion do what works. If that means adding a few safety chains as a backup great. It does save time and even if the extension bends the steel is cheap (relatively speaking) and most of the fittings are bolt on so you can always replace it. My extension (in the picture) adds just over 5 feet to the trailer and if needed can add up to 6 feet but I have never needed it that far out.

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
I tow mine from the area I step the mast to the ramp. It's at least 1/4 mile.
I have never had any issues at the slow speed I'm traveling.
IMG_5200a.jpg

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Some guys at the club have been given me crap about it, saying I should not pull it using the extension the whole time. Seems the choking and pushing/puling of the extension is a huge safety issue and can be more dangerous. Am I missing something?
thanks,
Paul
You're fine, as long as you know what you're doing behind the wheel. Tell 'em to pound sand.

Show them this pic of MY shallow-ramp rig:

IMG_1433.JPG

Mar 2, 2018
Catalina Wing Keel San Diego
I only use my extension from where I step my mast to the ramp but if it was close and I had it stored in a mast up area I would leave the extension out if there was room.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
I think the issue is just is the added effect of the leverage, from the longer tongue. If it's beefy enough, I can't see where there is a direct problem. Probably puts a lot of added stress on the extension and rig, but, you own it. I suppose if it breaks free, you could have a serious safety issue, in that case. Also, more difficult to maneuver. Liability I'm sure, but it's a judgment call.

May 19, 2014
Catalina 22 #13555 Lake Winnebago, Oshkosh, WI
Don't you guys ever worry about dropping your tires over the edge of the cement ramp? Here in WI, seems every ramp has a drop off created by powerboaters "gunning it" to drive up onto their trailers. Seems they don't know how to use the winch to pull their boats onto a trailer. I backed a little too far at Lake Nagawicka and my trailer tires went into the hole at the end of the ramp. A helpful (daring? stupid?) guy ran behind my suv to push while I drove in 4WD pulling the trailer/boat out of the water. I was almost stuck, risking backing everything into the lake. The guy was built like a linebacker, but I"m not sure getting between a boat and suv on a slick ramp was wise. Anyway, I made it back onto the end of the ramp and pulled my boat out. We found a better ramp at a marina on a different lake after that. I only use the extension, like in MikeHoncho's pic above, not wanting to risk falling into the hole at the end of the ramp again.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
So why not telescope the extender until you get to the ramp and then deploy it ? Couple of points of securing and you should be good...

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Don't you guys ever worry about dropping your tires over the edge of the cement ramp?
Certainly it is a concern. We will often scout a new ramp in advance, taking a long pole to poke around with, looking for a dropoff. You can also watch for larger boats launching and see if they have a problem. Ask locals/regulars using the ramp. Or search the boating forums/facebook pages applicable to the area before you go.

At the very least, buy yourself a 6'-18' extendable pool cleaning pole for $30 and take it with you to feel around with.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
If your back trailer tires do drop off - I've read about a clever single-handed technique to get the rig back out. Basically, you let the boat launch, and keep it floating at the end of the ramp, bow in. You loosely tie off the bow and stern of the boat to the ramp pier, to keep it from swinging around. You extend the trailer winch strap to the end of the trailer, and bring it under the back center of the trailer - and up to the water's surface. You may need to add some rope to the length of the trailer winch strap. You then tie the end of the trailer winch strap to the bow eye of the floating boat, and use the floatation of the boat to float the back end of the trailer up & over the ramp drop-off. This can be adjusted by winching in on the trailer winch strap & drawing the trailer up to the boat. You then get back in the tow vehicle, and pull the trailer forward, until the back wheels are again up and over the ramp ledge. Then - disconnect the winch strap, and you're done. I thought it was a clever idea when I heard it.

Last edited: