Pulling 2100lb 25ft. sailboat w/ a Toyota Tercel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Deck, Jr.

I am looking into buying a 25ft. sailboat (83 Macgregor 25 listed for $3,000 or best offer) at 2100 pounds. I am wondering if my 93 Toyota Tercel with a 1.5 liter engine, or my 87 Toyota Van with a 2 liter engine would be able to pull the boat and trailer, or are my vehicles too small? (I don't have the Toyota owners manuals...) Thanks In Advance,

J

Jim Bailey

Towing With Toyota Tercel Or Van

John, You were correct, when you stated that your vehicles are too small. You have to figure in the weight of the boat trailer, and any of those little extras that we can't do without when heading for the water. The engines in your Toyotas, were really designed for economy. I did some checking for you. The Tercel is too light weight, engine too small. Your Van is also in the same status. I suggest that you look around for a pickup. There are some small ones out there, and I suggest a V-6 at least. Toyota as well as a host of other manufacturers offer them too. You should think about having a class 3 hitch installed also. This is mounted to the frame. Bumpers will take stress, but eventually it will take its toll on them. Yes, a van will tow also, but again watch engine size, and weight of the vehicle. You want to be able to control what you're towing, and not have what you're towing control you, or just plain flip you over or off the road.I learned the hard way, and it was quite a sight seeing the 20 foot trailer trying to pass me. Luckily no damage or injuries, except to my pride. Hope this helps. Good Luck. Jim

J

Jim

Boat pulling

I agree with Jim from Wash. A truck or good sized SUV is ideal. My V23 is 2000 lbs and I pull it short distances with a Ford Aerostar (4.0 ltr eng. and trailer tow package.) Also a Chevy Astro (now a Safari or Venture?) with 4.3 ltr eng would be fine. These can be picked up used very cheaply. Other minivans are probably not suitable. But for longer distances I use a Suburban and don't even notice the load. If your Tercel or van has an automatic transmission it can easily be ruined by towing and a manual trans can also. That will be expensive.

C

Chip Giles

Don't do it

I have a similar boat. I have been forced by circumstance to pull it with a GMC S-15. The truth is that you CAN pull it with a smaller vehicle, but you are taking a big chance. I can make only about 45-50 mph at best without the truck fishtailing. This is very scary. Also, the braking capacity is severely diminished. If you plan to tow this boat much, you should break down and get a bigger truck. We bought an older Jeep Wagoneer for the job.

D

Doug Rodrigues

Don't do it!

I occasionally tow my 1,800 lb. MacGregor 2-22 with my Toyota 4-Runner with the V-6. It requires me to usually operate at full throttle and never in 5th gear. Even slight increases in road grade require down-shifting to 3rd gear. I also own a Tercel. There is no way that the Tercel could tow my boat, let alone anything larger like what you have. With my GMC Pickup truck

Status
Not open for further replies.