Pull out berth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 23, 2007
Hunter 310 Boulder Marina, Carlyle Lake
Hi, We have a 1980 S2-8.0B and this was built with a V-berth and 2 port berths end to end. I understand there is a version with a pull out berth in the salon. Of course, I would like to convert ours to a pull out too. Any ideas? Thanks, LeRoy Nooter Carlyle Lake, Illinois P.S. For those who read the magazine "Boat Works", it is going out of print. As I get more info, I'll pass it along.

Mar 23, 2007
Hey Robert, I remember talking to you, thanks for writing back. I just couldn't find a center cockpit boat for sale. I did find an 8.0A,(and that may be where I heard about the pull out berth) but the 8.0B seems to have a bit more room in the salon. We bought the 8.0B from a really nice guy, the 2nd owner, up in North Dakota, but he kept the boat on Leech Lake in Minnesota. Yes, we have the shoal draft with a swing keel, and that's a story too! The keel had been replaced and upon retracting it the first time it became wedged up inside the pocket. And there it stayed for 10 years. So that was a project to fix. Other than that, it was in very good shape. Also, we have a 9.9HP outboard w/electric start and wheel steering. Lots of room in the cockpit. Still a few things to learn about this boat I'm sure. We keep it on the trailer at our sailing club and launch down the ramp when ever we want to go out. But for the winter it's stored inside. Even though I've raced and owned "a few" other boats along the way, we are very happy with this boat! Enjoy your off season, LeRoy

Mar 23, 2007
Hi Bret, It sounds as though we have the same port berth set up, except I don't have a pull out. I've got the Teak trim and removable steps and the sliding doors in the aft port berth. Since we have an outboard, the starboard cockpit seat lifts up to a cavernous storage area where the inboard engine would be. The port side plywood seat bottoms only have access panels for storage. I sure would appreciate a picture of your pull out if you ever have the time. We like this boat and spend quite a few weekends on it. While we are able to sleep in the V-berth, I think you've got the best situation with the pull out. Thanks for writing. LeRoy

Nov 4, 2007
S2 8.0B Perry Yacht Club
Alas! No photos...yet!

LeRoy: I just checked my computer, and I don't have any photos of the pull-out piece. But I am hoping to get to the boat this weekend and will gladly take some photos and post them and/or send them to you. You mentioned that you had the plywood seat with the cutouts, below which are storage compartments (I call them lockers, right or wrong). Well, IC has those also, and this pull-out piece that I'm talking about sits on top of that. The vertical trip piece on the pull-out keeps the seat cushion from sliding out. What keeps your seat cushion from sliding? I imagine that this piece would be very easy to make. I will take lots of photos and post them on the IC web page - then you can grab them and see if it's a piece you can duplicate. I'll put it on the "to do" list for this weekend! Bret O. s/v Implied Consent http://impliedconsent.us

Mar 23, 2007
Pull-out photos

Bret, Actually, I discovered your web site a few weeks ago..very cool! The cushions are kept in place by a piece of Teak (?) trim running the full length of the port settee/berth. The trim sticks up about an inch and the seat cushion sits down behind it with the back cushion on top. The starboard settee, while shorter, is set up the same way. I appreciate you going to the trouble of going out, taking pictures and posting them. I'm sure others will be grateful as well. It will be interesting to see if I can get the legs and attachments figured out. Thanks again, LeRoy P.S. What year was I C built?

Nov 4, 2007
S2 8.0B Perry Yacht Club
Implied Consent was built in 1978

LeRoy: IC was built in 1978. Coming up on her 30th birthday! My goal is to get out to the boat on Saturday. I'll get plenty of photos then, especially of the pull-out berth parts. She is supposed to have been pulled by then. I'm anxious to check the condition of the bottom! Bret O. http://impliedconsent.us

Nov 4, 2007
S2 8.0B Perry Yacht Club
Photos for the pull out berth - S2 8.0B

LeRoy: I finally made it to my boat with my camera and took some photos of the pull out berth. Click the link below for a photo gallery. Hope these help and sorry for the delay! Bret O. s/v Implied Consent

Nov 4, 2007
S2 8.0B Perry Yacht Club
Photos for the pull out berth - S2 8.0B

LeRoy: I finally made it to my boat with my camera and took some photos of the pull out berth. Click the link below for a photo gallery. Hope these help and sorry for the delay! Bret O. s/v Implied Consent

Mar 23, 2007
Thanks a bunch!

Hi Bret, Thanks a lot for the photos! It took me a while to finally see the overlap of the pull-out. At first I was wondering what held it together in the middle if you pulled the bottom all the way over. But after looking at all the pictures several times, I saw how it works. You did a great job! I think, with the help of your photos, I will be able to make ours a pull-out too. My plan is to use 3/4" marine grade plywood for the bottom, not sure yet what to use for the legs. I did find out that the pull-out was originally a $125.00 option. I'm sure I can do it for less if I don't count my time, ha! Thanks again, I really appreciate it! LeRoy

Mar 23, 2007
Thanks a bunch!

Hi Bret, Thanks a lot for the photos! It took me a while to finally see the overlap of the pull-out. At first I was wondering what held it together in the middle if you pulled the bottom all the way over. But after looking at all the pictures several times, I saw how it works. You did a great job! I think, with the help of your photos, I will be able to make ours a pull-out too. My plan is to use 3/4" marine grade plywood for the bottom, not sure yet what to use for the legs. I did find out that the pull-out was originally a $125.00 option. I'm sure I can do it for less if I don't count my time, ha! Thanks again, I really appreciate it! LeRoy

Nov 4, 2007
S2 8.0B Perry Yacht Club
Didn't realize it was an option!

LeRoy: Glad you could use them. The pullout simply rest on the settee portion. There were originally some "stops" of some kind that kept the pullout at the proper width. In the photos, the stops are gone, but you can still see the holes where the stops sat. And you can see some of the wear and tear caused by the stops before they disappeared or broke. They were gone by the time I got the boat. I've been looking for some plastic or other slick bumpers or something that I could bolt through or otherwise attach at the original stop locations. The legs are just metal tubes that were bolted to the wood. I added some felt stick-on feet to augment the plastic on the bottom. Hope it helps! Bret O. s/v Implied Consent

Nov 4, 2007
S2 8.0B Perry Yacht Club
Didn't realize it was an option!

LeRoy: Glad you could use them. The pullout simply rest on the settee portion. There were originally some "stops" of some kind that kept the pullout at the proper width. In the photos, the stops are gone, but you can still see the holes where the stops sat. And you can see some of the wear and tear caused by the stops before they disappeared or broke. They were gone by the time I got the boat. I've been looking for some plastic or other slick bumpers or something that I could bolt through or otherwise attach at the original stop locations. The legs are just metal tubes that were bolted to the wood. I added some felt stick-on feet to augment the plastic on the bottom. Hope it helps! Bret O. s/v Implied Consent

Status
Not open for further replies.