PSS Shaft Seal Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 3, 2007
Catalina 36 Lexington Mi
I am considering using the PSS shaft seal on my boat. I have a couple question that I am sure I can get answers to on here. The first is has anyone installed it themselves and what kind of a job was it..it looks pretty staight forward. What kind of problems did you have if any. My second is does it work as stated...I am tired of water in my bildge. Part of the reason I am looking at doing this is that I need to replace the rubber on my stuffing box so I thought this would be the time to switch. I have also thought about using the dripless packing but the price of that added to the price of the new rubber piece is almost 3/4 the price of the PSS. I know that there are those here that do not like the PSS or similar systems and I have heard all those concerns but I have feel it is a good and dependable system. I am not debating the merits of it..just the installation.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
william, I installed my own PSS system

I didn't find it to be a bad or difficult job but I have spen the better part of my life messing with machines. Yes they do work as advertised! I can often dust out my bilge. The only water that gets down there gets in through the floor boards when we spill some or if the hatch is open when it rains. Just work carefully and methodically and you should be alright.

Aug 9, 2005
Hunter 28.5 Palm Coast, FL
if you're mechanical...it's a piece of cake

the hardest part is removing the shaft coupling.

W

Warren Milberg

While I don't know much

... about the PSS other than what I've read here (and I recommend that you search the archives as I recall some strong pro's and con's), I do know that as Landsend states, getting the shaft coupling off may be the most difficult part of the job. In some cases, you may have to "invent" a tool to apply enough pressure to back the coupling off. Having just replaced the OEM nylon gland on my H28.5, I began the process by spraying the coupling with PB Blaster as few weeks before trying to remove the coupling and every few days afterwards. I assumed that my shaft had not been pulled in 20 and was expecting the worst. When I got ready for the job, I gently and judiciously applied some heat to the coupling with propane torch. I then tapped it all around with a ball peen hammer. The coupling came off nicely. I replaced my gland with a conventional bronze gland that cost only about $85 for the whole thing: new gland, new rubber hose, and 4 hose clamps. The gland came with new packing. A new PSS gland would have cost me close to $300 so I don't see how new packing and a piece of hose could cost 3/4 of that. Although my boat was just launched, I've yet to have my first sail and so have not needed to adjust the drip of the new gland. But I am confident I'll be able to do so and to have it only drip a few drops per minute with the engine running in gear, and to not drip at all when the engine is off or in neutral. I'm not trying to dissuade you from installing a PSS, but only giving you another alternative to think about.. .. Good luck either way.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Landsend, That's why they make gear pullers.

doesn't everybody have several sizes within easy reach for that job they only do once every twenty years? ;)

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Did One Myself

It is easy. As everyone said, the shaft is the most difficult thing. I did what Warren did and used a socket and long bolts to shove the shaft off. Went easily enough. You need another set of hands to reinstall it. Someone needs to tap it in using a block of wood and a mallet while you line it up. I have had three and am very satisfied. Rick D.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Archives

Some one in a catalina 34 I think has a web site and show's how he pulled the shaft couplen off done easy with long bolts and spacer. He has photo's and explain's it very well. Nick

Mar 3, 2007
Catalina 36 Lexington Mi
Thanks

Thanks for the help guys. I am glad I got replys from the people I got them from as I do respect your opinions and knowledge a lot! I am pretty handy so I am guessing this should be a pretty simple project. One of my concerns was how hard it is to remove the shaft from the coupler but you have given me some good ideas and I have a lot of pullers. Warren thanks for the response but the pros and cons I have already worked through that in my head. The decision to use it is one that we all have to decide for ourselves after gathering as much info as we can. The PB Blaster Idea is a good one and I will be spraying it tomorrow. I know no matter which route I take I will have to remove that coupler. The cost came from the price of the rubber and the dripless packing. both of which are pricey and I got a very good price on the PSS System from the strictly sail show for my boat I am well under $300. Thanks again for the help

P

Phil Macgregor

Doin it in the bilge

I just installed a pss about a month ago in my O'day 30 and the worst part of all was laying in the bilge being kinked up while installing the thing. While your are pulling the prop shaft now may be the time to replace your cutlass bearing if it is needed. I had a lot of viberation when running the engine over half throttle so I hope the new bearing will cure this.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
William, while you are using the existing

shaft keep in mind that there are two "O" rings in the stainlees steel part of the coupler. Be sure that you file off any set screw burrs before you slid it onto the shaft.

Feb 4, 2005
Catalina C-30 Mattituck, NY
Gear-puller

Try the gear puller approach to get the coupling off. I installed a PSS on my Catalina 30 and I love it. THe most difficult part is removing the coupling. Heat and a puller will get the job done in 5 minutes. alos - think about the cutlass while the shaft is out. Good Luck - Rob

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Rob..

What year Cat 30 do you have? I tried to fit my gear puller in between the coupling and transmission on all four of my installations and it's a no go at least with my puller. You must have a ton of room between your engine and your shaft log. I wish I did!! Can you post a link to the gear puller you use? I'd like to buy one!!

Mar 3, 2007
Catalina 36 Lexington Mi
couple more questions

Maine sail thanks for the link..very informative. OK a few more question..First I have an Atomic Four in my old boat but I would assume that the the couplers are basiclly the same. If I unbolt it from the trans will I be able to slide it back towards the cutlass bearing to get more room? My shaft looks like it is the same dia. all the way to the prop. Heat and a puller looks like the universal combination to get the coupler off. Hmmmm no one has mentioned a big hammer! I thought that was the cure all! I was thinking about changing the cutlass bearing while I had it all apart. The Belle is 36 years old and I don't know the last time it was changed. I had the guy at my boat yard take a look last fall and he said it looks good although we didn;t pull the shaft but there was no play in it. Thanks again guys and Happy Easter!

Aug 9, 2005
Hunter 28.5 Palm Coast, FL
one thing not mentioned here...

On some boats when you go to a PSS shaft seal, the engine will vibrate more. This is because the old conventional stuffing box acts like a pilot bearing holding the propeller shaft and engine centered inside the stern tube. If the stern tube is small and you can't center the shaft correctly or reduce the engine vibration, the result could be a clanking at certain rpm. This happened on my 1988 Hunter 28.5 and the only way I could cure it was to go a larger diameter stern tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.