prop shaft bearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fearless

Has anyone out there in vacuum land replaced their prop shaft bearing? We have a Yanmar YSM 12 up in the bow with a short shaft to the prop bearing and then another shaft back to the stuffing box. The prop shaft bearing is attached to the bulkead near the head/shower. It is starting to make a ballsy rumbly sound that doesn't go away with more grease pumped in. I'm thinking about replacing it and wondering if anyone out there has any experience with finding a replacement. Cheers, Andrew.

Aug 3, 2005
- - Seattle
Yamaha parts

I have a contact in Yamaha for replacement parts. If you can't find what you need here, contact me at rknosp@hotmail.com and I'll forward the information e-mail to you.

N

Nick hawley

Have exactly the same set up as you. Can't hear the bearing when the motor is running - cos it's so noisy down there. But if we put the prop in neurtral when sailing - get a loud ballsy rumble - is that what you have? I hadn't thought of changing the bearing and a survey we had this summer didn't recommend it.

N

Nick hawley

added question on boat line

Fearless - related question, do you find that your boat floats with the nose down low in the water? When we all get off and look at her from the shore the water line is usually at quite an alarming angle to the paint job. We assume this is the diesel at the front.

D

Dave

Thrust Bearing

The bearing in question takes the force of the prop so as not too damage the transmision. There is in fact only one shaft . Contact Specialy Yachts in Van for part Give me a call if you wish at 743 0692 Thx Dave

Aug 3, 2005
- - Seattle
Bow down? Maybe...

My 30 also appeared to be down in the bow, but one time when I painted it, I looked down the hull and found that the bootstripe was not painted level at the bow. When I corrected the paint job, the "bow down" condition disappeared. This is certainly an easier fix than say, hanging a volkswagen off the stern.

N

Nick Hawley

Noisy thrust

OK so I have got my bow down problem sorted - but what about the thrust bearing - how do you know when it needs replacing? Is a loud rumble when in neutral engine off a sign or normal?

Dec 30, 2005
- - Hong Kong
33 prop shaft bearing

I have replaced both bearings not easy due to usual corrosion Attached is a sheet showing the bearings cost here approx HK$ 230 each say US$ 30

Status
Not open for further replies.