Prop Corrosion

Status
Not open for further replies.

robgs

May 24, 2004
Bavaria Vision 40 Rock Hall MD
My 2006 Vision 40 with a Volvo Penta D2-40/saildrive came equipped with a 3 blade fixed
aluminum prop. The prop was coated with black protective paint. In service I have sprayed
Interlux Trilux antifouling paint on both the saildrive leg and the prop. During the first season (2007)
some of the original black paint had flaked off exposing bare aluminum.
Despite cleaning, priming and repainting flaking has repeated each season to the point that at the
end of this 2010 season 85-90% is gone. More troubling, I'm now seeing considerable pitting due to
corrosion. This is on the prop only, the saildrive leg seems OK.

The VP owners' manual emphasizes the length they have taken to galvanically isolate the
saildrive leg. The leg is also protected with a zinc collar just ahead of the prop. This zinc shows very little
corrosion.The prop itself has a rubber bushing in the hub that effectively isolates the prop from the
shaft and the leg itself. The prop however has no zinc anode of its own to protect it.

As a seasonal liveaboard my boat is connected to shorepower for long periods of time.
The shore power connection checks out OK (polarity, etc.) and I have added a galvanic
isolator.

Have other owners experienced similar prop corrosion?

Further, have other owners experience with a Gori folding prop with respect to installation, performance and corrosion?

Rob
s/v Nanaimo

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
There might be a lot of reasons for your problem. Stray electricity from another boat nearby in your marina could contribute to this. Incompatibility with the paint and the aluminum could be a problem. Improperly bonded lower unit or engine could be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.