Project Boat Coming Along

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Spent yesterday working on my retirement project boat. Got her all scrub'em up preparing her for the Poly-Glow treatment. The boat is all de-waxed and scrub'ed and I installed the new registration numbers and graphics before the Poly-Glow goes on next week. She's coming along. We LOVE our MK-II Catalina-22, but these "new design" C-22's are just so darn good looking, I can't stand just letting her sit until I retire! :D

Don

Last edited:
May 11, 2014
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant, AZ
Nice looking boat, Don, and I love the name! Hey, how does Poly-Glo work? About once or twice a year I go through a labor intensive weekend regimen of compounding, polishing, and waxing - and although the results are decent enough, it sure isn't easy. The Arizona sun is really tough on my 34-year old gel coat - it doesn't take long before it begins to look chalky again. Open to better ideas!

Nov 19, 2008
Bob, Poly-Glow is a 3-part system for fiberglass gel-coat. First, you use their stripper to remove all the wax,(or the previous Poly-Glow). It's a bit of a workout using the plastic scrubbing pad that comes in the kit. Then you use the powder cleaner, this removes rust and other stains, and gets the gel-coat to a uniform color. This is another workout on the arms! Any mark left will be there under the Poly-Glow. Then a good rinsing and once it's dry, and the boat is best worked on in the shade, you start to wipe on the Ploy-Glow in about 3-4' sections. Once it dries,(usually in only several minutes), you wipe on some more. After the 2nd coat you can see the gloss start to build. I usually wipe on about 5-6 coats, and for a trailer boat, should last a couple years. You can clean the boat with soap and water, and apply another coat of two. the next year, or when it starts to wear. I thought it was snake-oil until I tried if myself. :dance:

Don

Dec 11, 2010
MacGregor 26x Hayden AL
That is one attractive boat. The poly glow sounds great. It sounds a little like the floor wax treatment I've read about.

Mar 26, 2012
Catalina 22 Pflugerville
Just curious, does it work for newly painted surfaces on our boats too, or is there something else I should look at using?

Nov 19, 2008
I don't believe it's intended for painted surfaces, might check their web site.

Don

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Don, when you get ready to drop the keel on that boat let me know. I have 4 Brownell boat stands and I am working on laminating a sort of 'cradle' that goes athwartships between the stands. I feel like even the big pads on the stands point load the hull too much. Anyway, that set-up plus some other lifting gear and skid for the keel makes 'easy' work of getting that keel down, and I say 'easy' with a grain of salt, LOL!

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
SO pretty!! I'm biased, of course, but I don't think there is a prettier incarnation of the Catalina 22 than the 86-95 "new design". I'm so glad you found her (she found you?); I was admiring her from clear over here on the opposite coast when she was still for sale as "La Otra". :)

Now, when are you gonna get her some eyebrows??

Nov 19, 2008
Thanks, new teak "eye brows" were already in the boat when I bought her, just need to be finished and installed. Still lot's to do before she's back in the water,(need something to do when I retire) :)

Don

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Thanks, new teak "eye brows" were already in the boat when I bought her, just need to be finished and installed. Still lot's to do before she's back in the water,(need something to do when I retire) :)

Don

LOL, awesome!!

I guess I have some homework to do on Poly Gloss. I've heard of it, but had not yet heard it endorsed by someone as knowledgeable as yourself. Will you also be using it on the smooth portions of the deck, or just the topsides?

What are your plans for bottom paint?

Jan 26, 2008
Hunter 31- Deale
LOL, awesome!!

I guess I have some homework to do on Poly Gloss. I've heard of it, but had not yet heard it endorsed by someone as knowledgeable as yourself. Will you also be using it on the smooth portions of the deck, or just the topsides?

What are your plans for bottom paint?
I use it my Hunter 310 - (did it prior on my O'Day 25). Very pleased. The more coats you do the longer it lasts. I have gone as high as 8 coats and got 3 seasons.

Nov 19, 2008
DixieDawg,

I'm planning on doing the cockpit and cabin with Polly-Glow right now. sure don't want it on the non-skid. Someone mentioned another product to seal the non-skid areas without making it slick, can't remember the name of the product. I don't plan on putting on bottom paint. I'll probably slowly remove the paint on the hull. The boat will be strictly trailered, and maybe in the water for a couple weeks at a time, so bottom paint won't be needed. I can always give the bottom a scrub while in the water if it gets a little slimy.

Here are some photos attached of our 2002 MK-II that I did the "Poly-Glow" treatment to last spring. It's held up very well, with the exception of the plastic portions that replaced the teak on the MK-II's. It looked nice for a while, but the plastic seemed to attract dirt and looked nasty, so I cleaned it off and just leave them as they were.

What really impressed me was the sheer-line and waterline stripes. They have that factory fresh deep blue gloss after the Poly-Glow treatment. Most people compliment us on our new boat, and are surprised when I tell them she's almost 13 years old,(and used year round, never covered either).

Don

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2011
Catalina 22 MKII Scarborough, Ontario
Don, I have to compliment you on the condition of both of your two boats.
I shall certainly try the Polyglow finish on my two boats and hope that I am able to achieve similar results to yours. I have been following your posts for a while now, including those relating to your previous Catalina 18. One of my sailing buddies also has the C18 WK and I have also been very impressed with that model.
We currently have the Catalina 22 MK 2, similar to yours, and really enjoy sailing it here on Lake Ontario. We also have the smaller Catalina 16 WK at the family cottage on Lake Muskoka, which we also very much enjoy sailing.
I share your enthusiasm for these boats and will continue to follow your posts with interest.

image-1112973338.jpg

image-3268783332.jpg

Nov 19, 2008
Thanks Chris, Our plans for the "New Design" C-22 is to relocate it to Michigan for some sailing on the sweet waters of the Great Lakes after I retire next spring. That way we won't have to haul the boat across the country. The Capri/Catalina-18 is probably the best unknown boat out there. Super strong, and way over built. Great little boats! By the way, our MK-II's are only 4 boats apart, our's is #15496. :dance:

Don

Last edited: