Problems with steering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 28, 2007
Macgregor 26X Surfside Beach, SC
The steering on my 2002 26X is very stiff. When the motor and rudders are detached from the steering cable, they move freely. However the wheel is still very stiff. Any suggestions? Is a new cable needed, and if so how difficult is it to replace? Thanks.

Dec 28, 2007
The steering on my 2002 26X is very stiff. When the motor and rudders are detached from the steering cable, they move freely. However the wheel is still very stiff. Any suggestions? Is a new cable needed, and if so how difficult is it to replace? Thanks.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
Teleflex?

Do the X's have the teleflex 'rod' type steering cable? and don't the cables get soaked? and the grease gets hard... and steering stiff? probably you need to change that teleflex cable... worse is the tube inside the motor... probably a PITA...

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
Teleflex?

Do the X's have the teleflex 'rod' type steering cable? and don't the cables get soaked? and the grease gets hard... and steering stiff? probably you need to change that teleflex cable... worse is the tube inside the motor... probably a PITA...

Jun 4, 2006
Macgregor 26X Gray Hawk, KY
Same

I have a 02X also that is getting stiffer. Keeps us informed of what you do working your problem. Maybe I won't have to "reinvent the wheel".

Jun 4, 2006
Same

I have a 02X also that is getting stiffer. Keeps us informed of what you do working your problem. Maybe I won't have to "reinvent the wheel".

Jun 4, 2004
- - Richmond
steering

You need this in 10' length......the factory steering (Detmar) is junk. https://www.surplusunlimited.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=2200-60

Jun 4, 2004
- - Richmond
steering

You need this in 10' length......the factory steering (Detmar) is junk. https://www.surplusunlimited.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=2200-60

Dec 28, 2007
Steering problem

Thanks for the part number. Do you know if the helm box will precisly fit the existing mounting holes or if alterations will need to be made. I have never changed a steering cable system. Do you have any advice that would make the job go easier. Thanks.

T

Timm Miller

Easy Job

You will need a slightly larger hole that what you have now. I made a hole of the same size that the pedestal came with..can't remember exact size. I took the cut-out circle and stuck that on the end of the hole saw as a guide with the new size hole saw. YOu will need to grind some of the bottom of the hole down some to allow room for the top of the rack to fit inside the pedestal....it's an easy job........take your time.....routing cables seems to take the most time. You'll be amazed at how smooth your steering will be....you might want to replace you control cables while you're at it with Telefles ExTreme cables....12' length.....then you'll have one very smooth system. I did mine about fours years ago and it is as smooth as day one.

Jun 13, 2004
- - Dana Point, CA
Just Did It!

Phil, I have a '97 26X and had the same problem. Last month I replaced my original Teleflex cable with another Teleflex (West Marine), except a little longer, 11' and a 4-turn system. No holes to enlarge, exact fit. But in removing the old cable, I found the problem, which could solve your problem before you do what I did. The factory installation made too sharp a turn as it left the pedestal. It is supposed to have a minimum 8' radius. If you remove the metal U clamp and let the cable flop down a little, it may solve the problem. As for my installation, I found more problems after I fixed the cable. First, I found that I had to reinstall the other end near the motor on the steering bar. About 4" to starboard. Then I repositioned the rudders and motor on the steering arm and removed slack. Then I had to remove the ladder to get the engine to turn all the way to port. I plan to get a fix to change one of the ladder legs so it folds. It's not hard, but it does take some work. If you have any more questions, let me know. Good luck!

Jun 4, 2004
- - Richmond
Difference

Just remember......you had the old rotary style, if I'm not mistaken........he has the Rack and Pinnion style.

Jun 13, 2004
- - Dana Point, CA
Rotary

Phil, mine was rotary too. You may need to open the side of the pedestal and look at the steering mech. Mine says Teleflex on it and does not have the straight bars coming out of it on each side, as a pinion does. Just be sure your new installation has plenty of room for the cable to ease around the corners. Enjoy

Jun 4, 2004
- - Richmond

It's rack and pinnion........2002's came with rack and pinnion.......the 10' I suggested is 2 feet longer than the factory 8' Detmar......

Jun 4, 2006
Extra length

Timm I have an 02X also. Are you suggesting that the replacement steering cable should be two feet longer than the original on 02s? Would you check this listing on eBay and tell me if that is what you are suggesting? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TELEFLEX-RACK-PINION-STEERING-CABLE-12-SSC12412-NEW_W0QQitemZ110218924720QQihZ001QQcategoryZ31283QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem WOW! that is a long address. Anyway the item number is 110218924720. I'm wondering what you do with all that extra length. We sleep in the aft berth and the existing cables sure are a PITA. Thanks Ken

R

Ron

Cable corrosion

I had this problem with my 'o1X after 2 years operation. Then I discovered the rubber boot down where the cable appears out of the side underneath the seat hadn't been properly installed, letting in moisture. With a screwdriver in the end hole I rotated the cable bit by bit, until I got a little movement, and then found the wheel also gave a little more movement. All the time I was pouring WD40 (and anything else I could find) into the cable end. Pretty soon lots of rusty guck was pouring out from the cable, and the wheel resistance disappeared completely. It appears one of the internal components is not corrosion proof, thereby causing this common problem. I then liberally applied a marine grease around the end of the moving cable working it inside using the wheel. Eventually I could push/pull the cable by hand to the full range of motion. Ever since, never a week or two goes by without spinning the wheel. Still good today, 3years later........

Jun 4, 2004
- - Richmond
Cabel

It will only fit Teleflex........but the length is right.... The link I provided is for the SS141-10. If you have the original DETMAR steering that came with it........you really should do yourself a favor and replace it. 10' will create more of a smoother arc than trying to make a 8' stretch the distance. The problem with the 8' is that it makes too tight a turn and by that it starts sawing through the casing.........leading to failure.

Jun 4, 2004
- - Richmond
cable

"I'm wondering what you do with all that extra length. We sleep in the aft berth and the existing cables sure are a PITA." Then this may be a problem for you....this does swoop down and over to the starboard side more and then up and out........but it's not floating in space like the 8' did.

Jun 13, 2004
- - Dana Point, CA
Teleflex NFB 4.2

My new Teleflex is a SS14711. It has an 11' length and does hang down into the lower berth a little more than before, but it is not too bad. I like the 4.2 turns rather than the original 3.0 because it gives more power since it drives the engine as well as the rudders. I am installing a spinner for quick turns and tacks. Works great.

Jun 4, 2004
- - Richmond
NFB

The No Feedback system is unnecessary.....the outboard doesn't create any torgue on the steering system...so why make the steering with more resistence?

Status
Not open for further replies.