Prevent engine starting in gear

Jan 30, 2021
Catalina 30 Savannah
I accidentally started my Catalina 30 engine with transmission in reverse. I've always heard there's supposed to be a feature that prevents the engine from starting with the tranny in gear, but now can't find any info on the specifics of that.

I have an '88 M-25XP and Hurth transmission. After reading in here I decided to start putting it in reverse while sailing rather than neutral to reduce wear (my Hurth manual states either is okay). Now I fear that I'll often forget to return to neutral before starting engine if this prevention feature doesn't exist....

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
My friend @LeslieTroyer owns a Catalina 36 and was working on adding a way to stop his boat from starting other than in neutral.

On my Perkins engine, there is a cutout. It electrically stops the starter from turning unless the transmission is in neutral.

Perhaps you can find info on the Catalina 30 Association.

Good luck. There is a way.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
If the transmission manual says "either is okay", why not just leave it in neutral? You've solved the (non)-problem, AND saved all the time, money, and effort that would be involved in taking any other course of action. Boats are expensive enough. Why institute a solution in search of a problem?

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hmm. Never have started our engine while in gear. Whether it has a setup to prevent it, no idea. Might give it a try some day. My mind is hard wired to return the transmission to neutral whenever it comes to a stop. As far as whether to leave it in or out of gear while under sail, Yanmar advised to leave our Kanzaki in neutral to help prevent undue pressure upon the transmission components.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
On my Hunter 40.5 the Yanmar will start in gear and I don't really see that as much of a problem as long as you are not starting it up with a high throttle setting. Its not like a car where starting in gear will cause the car to immediatly move and possibly cause an accident or kill someone. You shouldn't start your engine if there are swimmers in the water anyway and the boat won't immediately move as long as you are tied up to something. If you are not tied up then you are probably free to move some without causing a collision. Besides, I test my propulsion by putting it in reverse and foward before I cast off anyway (old Navy habit.) Like SFS said, looks like a solution in search of a problem.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Another thought - its one more thing to "fail" and keep you from starting your engine whey you really need to. Anyone ever had to replace a "neutral start safety switch" on their car because it wouldn't start? They do fail - I have and its not like replacing a fuse. I know it might be an added safety feature, but at what $ cost and what added complexity and failure risk. Just my $.02, IMHO.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Now that you are aware I'd bet you'll always check position of shift AND throttle before starting.
Yes. I have a Maxprop and once it is feathered, I leave the transmission in Reverse, and the shutoff pull in Run, Throttle just a little over idle. That way if I need a "quick stop" to avoid a hazard (some of my sailing is in restricted water) I can get power quickly to the prop without having to think about doing anything other than turning the key to start. Learned that the hard way (no damage, just a :yikes:).

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Hang your keychain on the gear lever. Taking it off the lever to put it back in the ignition will remind you to shift into neutral.
I keep my key hanging on the lever for the Raw Water intake thru hull. That way I make sure I open the intake before starting the engine. The risk of running the engine without raw water and damaging the impeller is an order of magnitude higher than the impact of starting the engine in gear (IMHO). I shut all intake valves before leaving the boat at the end of a sail.

Oct 22, 2014
looks like a solution in search of a problem.
What if you just want to bling out your boat? Then your building a solution for an exciting improvement.
Boats are just compromise agencies.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
After forgetting to open the engine raw water through valve, I installed a magnet on the handle and a magnetic switch when the valve handle is closed. When ignition key is turned it provides power to the switch which sound a soanalert inside the capitain's console and a bright LED blinking if the valve handle is in the closed position. This stops me from pressing the start button and saves the impeller.
Same can be done for the position of the shift gear. Sound alarm when not in neutral and ignition key is turned.
Haro.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I keep my key hanging on the lever for the Raw Water intake thru hull. That way I make sure I open the intake before starting the engine. The risk of running the engine without raw water and damaging the impeller is an order of magnitude higher than the impact of starting the engine in gear (IMHO). I shut all intake valves before leaving the boat at the end of a sail.
Good idea. Keep the key on the intake when you’re away from the boat (and presumably leaving it neutral), and on the gear lever when you’re sailing (and presumably still have the seacock open.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Good idea. Keep the key on the intake when you’re away from the boat (and presumably leaving it neutral), and on the gear lever when you’re sailing (and presumably still have the seacock open.
That's my practice. I braided a wrist bracelet out of Paracord for each of my thru hulls with a tag which reads "Thru Hull Open". They hang on the thru hulls when closed and when open they hang in a conspicuous location,
I have the engine key on a bracelet that hangs on the intake water thru hull when the thru hull is closed. After opening the thru hull, if the motor is not running, the key/bracelet hangs from the shift lever.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Before getting the transmission back on neutral it is recommended to slow the boat speed down to under 1 knot to before attempting. This will reduce stress on various components.

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
I removed the neutral safety device from an outboard 2 boats ago. Sometimes when I need the motor running I need it now. If it died in gear I could just restart it, no fumbling around during and emergency to get the engine started. Last two inboards have not had neutral safety switches, I have not ran over anyone yet. But I did forget to open the fresh water intake yesterday, still have to sort that out. Think I'll hang the key on the valve anytime I close it, which isn't often because it's somewhat difficult to access the valve on this boat.

Oct 22, 2014
which isn't often because it's somewhat difficult to access the valve on this boat.
I understand such conditions. Just make it a point to frequently, at least every couple of months, to open and close the valve so that it remains serviceable. It is also a good time to inspect the valve fore signs of corrosion.

It can happen before you know it. The internal metals corrode and your valve can just give way. I was getting an itchy feeling about my thru hull valves. The one looked ok, it’s neighbor did not so I decided to change both. When I went to remove the one that looked ok it crumbled in my hands.

Only you can prevent valve crumbling.

04221A9D-6ADF-46BD-A4E1-87E868C768DA.jpeg

9BC53F49-CF23-45D0-BB21-4F9E36F9D258.jpeg

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
My Hurth tranny info has a warning about letting the prop spin while the boat is moving under sail. Both reverse and forward are ok. When I start the engine, I just crack the throttle open a bit so if I forgot and left it in forward it will not be taking off at any clip and if I left it in reverse, the forward momentum of the boat dominates and the motor stalls. Now I do have a small engine, but this whole topic has not been an issue for me. Ask me in 5 years when I am 80. ;)

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
My Hurth tranny info has a warning about letting the prop spin while the boat is moving under sail. Both reverse and forward are ok. When I start the engine, I just crack the throttle open a bit so if I forgot and left it in forward it will not be taking off at any clip and if I left it in reverse, the forward momentum of the boat dominates and the motor stalls. Now I do have a small engine, but this whole topic has not been an issue for me. Ask me in 5 years when I am 80. ;)
I’ve not seen that for Hurth transmissions. My recollection of Hurth is that reverse or neutral are OK, but staying in forward would let the prop slip and wear out the clutch. Is yours the original on a Universal M12?